5. Punching Bag

Aiden's P.O.V.

No, I don't like her. No, inviting her into my house to stay does not mean I enjoy her company. No, laughing with her and smiling with her does not mean I care about her. The reason I almost kissed her: simply caught in the moment. I DONT CARE ABOUT HER.

The only thing I care about is that unlike my mother, I can actually do something for this girl. My mother was beaten by my father but I was too young to fight back and help. My mother was an extremely kind and giving person. I know she'd open her home up to a young girl like Charlie in a heartbeat. This time, I can do something, so I'm going to.

So I'll pretend she matter for a while, spoil her by buying stuff for her, and I'll protect her. Not for her though, but for my mother. I'm gonna make up for the fact that I couldn't save my mother. I have to. But I swear to god if anyone thinks I have a thing for Charlie, I'm knocking them out.

I look in the rear view mirror at Sam, my little bother, and smile. I may not like Charlie but he sure does. They're talking together about Hot Wheels. Sam just got an addiction to them. Give it a few days and he'll be bored of them again. That's how he is with everything.

I then look to Charlie, who is enthusiastically telling Sam about the car that was meant to be hers. It's her Dad's car right now, well, Step-Dad I think. Sam's face lights up as she describes it.

I catch a glimpse of one of the healing gashes on Charlie and think back to yesterday.

Charlie disappears from her room to check on a noise downstairs. I take the moment to look around at all the unpacked boxes lying around. I'd offer to help her unpack but as soon as I'm done "tutoring" I've got a place to be.

The sound of glass breaking tears me from my thoughts, throwing me into new ones about my mother and the way my father beat her.

Instinct forces me up and down the stairs in a heartbeat. I take in my view, Charlie on the floor covered in glass, her father stumbling towards her, obviously drunk.

Before I can even think, I'm on him, beating him as hard as I can the way I wished I could've my own father. Charlie makes a noise, bringing my attention back to her. I rush over, picking her up in my arms. She's so tiny, god she's like a feather.

I'm out the door and we're in the rain. Why the hell did it have to be raining?! Seriously?!

I try and ask if she'll be okay on the bike as her dad stumbles outside. Didn't I beat him to a pulp already? The alcohol must've dulled the pain a lot.

Charlie and I are on my bike in a few moments and speeding away towards my house. Her grip is as tight as she can manage but it's not right enough for me to be comfortable. I feel like she's going to fall...

Once at my house I'm pulling her off my bike but the fear on her face makes me stop. I pull her fragile body to me, "you're safe now, just breathe me in." I say to her, knowing if she focuses on me then maybe it'll help stop a panic attack. "Shhhh, he's not gonna get you, you're safe." I hold her there, her tears soaking into my shirt with the rain.

The entire night must've been terrifying to her. But now, it seems as if it barely phases her. She sits smiling like it never happened.

My mind returns to last night.

Charlie lays on my bed, barely moving, shallow breaths. I have to slide off her short and pants both because they're soaked and I need to see her wounds.

Bruises.

That's all the eye can see.

Just bruises.