20. In the Dark

Word Count: 2811
Published: January 30, 2017

Aiden's P.O.V.

She was mad at me. It was evident in the fact that I had not gotten a word out of her in days. I have no idea what I did wrong. When I went up to her room to look for her when the party was over, she was crying.

"What happened?" I asked softly. I had no idea what was happening. I knew she'd abandoned the party for her room, but I didn't know she left because something was wrong. I figured parties just weren't her scene.

"You know exactly what happened!" She shouted, clearly loud enough that the guys downstairs would be able to hear her, no problem. "Now get out of my room!" She looked pissed and terrifying, aside from her eyes which showed her true feelings. Everything from fear, to loss, to anguish flashed in them.

The door slammed in my face, but I could still hear her bawling. When the door made a small sound, I hoped she was opening it again, but when the door made no sign of opening, I assume she had simple slid against it down to the floor like people do in dramatic movies.

What could I have possibly done to earn this kind of treatment from her? I can't think of a single thing. I scanned my brain for possibilities but still, nothing came to mind.

"Whatever I did, I'm so sorry..." Now, I may be drunk as hell, but I've always been good at pushing that aside so that I can actually think and all I can think is I'm sorry. I don't even know what I'm being sorry for but if it hurt her, I'm sure as fuck sorry about it.

"I don't want to talk to you when you're drunk." She says, sadly.

Drunk? I'm hiding it though, I don't seem drunk. I know for a fact that I don't seem drunk.

"Who told you I was drunk?" I asked through the oak door.

"Are you not?" She questioned, giving no answer.

I was silent, I can't lie to her but I want to talk to her so I'm between a rock and a hard place.

"That's what I thought. Sober up and then.." I was about to go get a water bottle and attempt to come out of all of this quicker, but then I heard the end of the sentence. "leave me alone..."

"So there's nothing I can do to get you to open the door?"

"You can go away." Her voice was hard.

I had no choice but to listen.

That night, I didn't know what was going on, and to this very second, I still don't have a clue. I've been trying not to let it get to me, but I really miss her. Whatever happened, she must've confided in Ace, because he won't talk to me much either. But I don't get an angry vibe from him, I get more of a guilty one. I don't understand it, but that's the best way to describe him. He won't meet my eyes when I try to talk to him and for the first time in my life, I heard him stutter.

Something is seriously wrong here.

I'm just hoping that when my sister arrives, she might be able to help me figure it out. Currently, I'm at the airport waiting for her to come through the gate. I skipped school today to come get her since it'll be her first day back in months.

My eyes are glued to the gate and a smile comes to my face when my once pale, not super tan sister comes into view. I swear she even looks more fit than before. "Sarah!" I shouted, running to her and hugging her. "God, I missed you."

She smiled, hugging me back. "I missed you too. Where's Sam?" She asked.

"At home with a babysitter." I replied. "Don't worry, you'll see him soon."