19. Not One, but Two

Word Count: 2250 

Publish Date: 1-10-2017

Aiden's P.O.V.

I don't know where my sudden bravery had come from but I'm thankful for it because there's a beautiful girl I'm falling in love with sitting beside me in the car, her hand entwined with mine. She didn't even have to try, yet she was still the center of my attention. With that adorable grin, my sweatshirt, and the mark I've left on her being visible, it wouldn't be possible for anything else to hold my attention for such a long time.

As toxic as I probably am for her, you'd think she'd want to get away from me, but no. Here she was, still by my side. I smile and glance at her for a moment before looking back to the road, wishing I could stare at her for hours. She could easily be the perfect centerpiece for any painting as she was more astonishing in beauty than even the Mona Lisa.

My life isn't a great painting, but she managed to still be the perfect centerpiece.

"What were you looking at me like that for?" Her eyes focus on me. She makes the simplest of sentences sound like they're coming from angels.

My smile only grew wider at her question, "Nothing, Sweetheart."

It was obvious I was lying, but she chose to not prod me for an answer. Her gaze traveled out the window to watch the tree pass us by. In the backseat, Sam was imitating the sounds of a race cars while rolling his muscle car across the center console that separated his chair from the other half the car. I haven't had much family aside from Sam for long time because, as much as I loved my friends, they knew nothing of what I've been through. They've never asked to know either, I wouldn't answer even if they did. I think when everything happened, they felt the change in me and my personality and realized I wasn't going to be the same kid I was. I'm glad they stuck around even with the knowledge that I would probably never trust anyone the way I had before.

When Charlie came along, I didn't expect I'd end up falling in love with her, telling her everything about me, and considering her family. I thought she'd be just another temporary memory that would fade as fast as it came. Now, as I've said repeatedly, her and Sam are my world.

Charlie turns back to look at Sam and starts speaking about hot wheels and real cars with him. For a young kid, he's pretty good with remembering cars and facts about them. They drone on about the subject, both obviously enjoying the topic.

Sam loved Charlie before I had. That should've been my first clue that she was what I needed in my life. Sam, even with his young age, has a knack for being able to see a person for who they truly are. He's smarter about people that anyone else I know, he must've gotten that from his mother. In fact, he got most everything about him from our mother. I on the other hand resemble my father in just about every way a kid could resemble their parent. It haunts me every time I catch a glimpse of my reflection.

Right now, that didn't matter though because even with all my issues, Charlie was still here. That's all that matters. As long as she's still around, I know I haven't fucked up my life too bad.

"Where are we going?" Sam pipes up from the back as both him and Charlie turn their gazes to me.

"Wait and see. You're both so impatient." I shake me head at them with a smile.

I didn't really want to go anywhere big, so I was just taking Sam to his favorite park so Charlie and I would have time to talk while he played. The surroundings slowly change until Sam must've pieced together where we were going from the path we'd taken, "Yay! Park!" He shouted, rocketing out of his seat despite the moving vehicle.