21. Pete? More like Pinocchio

Word count: 2410

Published: May 2, 2018

Charlie's P.O.V.

I spent the next hour being as pathetically girly as possible. By that, I mean I sat snuggled up on Aiden's lap while he read a book. If that doesn't prove how much we missed each other's company, I don't know what does.

My mind kept going back to Ace. Why would he lie? Was it a mistake? But when he found out the truth, why didn't he come tell me?

Aiden turned the page with a sharp flick of his hand, catching my attention.

"It's funny, the entire time I've known you, I didn't know you read much." I spoke softly.

His eyes were still trained on his book when he replied, "I don't usually. I struggle reading the words without my glasses."

"You wear glasses?" I had not once ever seen him with glasses on.

"I'm supposed to but no, not usually. I just hate the way I look with them on, so I just do the best I can without them." He shrugged.

"Why don't you just get contacts?"

He paused, making sure to look away, blushing. He's embarrassed? I'm not really sure what to make of it. "I'm kinda, well.. scared of them. I'm a bit weird about the human body. Biology class freaks me out. The funny part about it is I'm really good at it." I already knew he was good since he was about to stitch up my wounds a while ago. "But the point of me saying that was, I'm scared to touch my eye."

"It's not okay to strain your eyes though whether you think you look better or not. Where are your glasses?" I asked.

"No where." He obviously figured out that I was going to go get them.

"Aiden." My voice had a threatening feel to it. "Tell me."

"Please don't do that. I hate my glasses. This is why I don't normally tell people about them." He groaned.

"Does reading without your glasses give you a headache?" I asked him, looking into his silvery eyes. He sighed and didn't say anything, just looked down. "That's what I thought." I reluctantly stood from his lap, "Where are they?"

"Behind the alarm clock on my nightstand." With that, I left him in the study, still reading his book. I made my way down the hall to his room and walked in without hesitation. To my surprise, I bumped into a girl a little older than me on the way.

"Whoa there, Charlie, you look like you've seen a ghost." The girl laughed.

"I just wasn't expecting to see any other females in this house." I responded, still not sure who she even was.

"I'm Sarah, Aiden's sister." She seemed really kind.

"Oh! He told me about you. He speaks really highly of you. It's so great to finally meet the great Sarah!" She laughed at that, her smile was really pretty.

"Well thank you, it's nice to finally meet the center of my brother's world." I waited for her laugh, but nothing came.

"What?" I tilted my head in confusion. How does she know about us?

"Oh yes, I know all about his love for you. After all, I am his sister. You're good for him, I'm glad you've stuck around this long." She paused, "well, I've gotta go and you looked like you were on a mission, so I'll see you around?" She Smile's and is gone down the hall before I can even say anything else.

I try and shake that whole conversation out of my mind. I know he likes me, but not that much.

Walking into his room, I find the glasses placed exactly as he said. And to my surprise, and might I say happiness in the upmost form, they're black rimmed need glasses. Every cliche shy girl's dream come true.