Part 3

Jeremy stood in the doorway of the kitchen, watching Stevie as she was washing dishes from several hours ago, when they ate dinner. Something changed in her from when they were taking Lily home and to now, it felt to him as if she was suddenly conflicted about their decision to adopt. 

"Hey..." He spoke at last, but she didn't say anything back. Walking up to her, Jeremy circled his arms around her waist, pressing a kiss to her hair, feeling her lean back into him. "What's up?"

"Nothing." Stevie said, drying off her hands, before turning around in his arms. 

"I know it's something, baby, I can tell. Is it about Lily? Do you... regret it?"

"No, of course not." She shook her head, freeing herself out of his embrace as she walked past him, to take a seat at the table, where she had a cup of tea placed earlier. "It's... it's just a lot."

"We knew it was going to be hard, we talked and talked about it, before doing anything."

"That's true and don't get me wrong, I'm not having second thoughts or anything. Now, I'm simply trying to figure it all out in my head, you know, with being a mother and a wife, as well as a part of Fleetwood Mac. I still want to do it, I still want to make music and tour, but I'm not sure how they are going to take this news, that I can't show up whenever they need me, that I have to start planning things and such. God, I'm rambling..." Stevie sighed. "I just want to be able to do it all."

"Well, all the guys in the band have kids, they had to find a way to adjust too."

"It's different, they're the Dads. I'm not saying that they don't do anything, not at all, I'm just... What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to be a stranger to Lily." 

"You won't. You should set your priorities straight and if I know you, I'm sure being a mother and wife will come first to you. Maybe that wasn't necessarily the case some twenty years ago, but now... They're just going to have to accept it."

"Mick and Christine called me already and I didn't know what to tell them."

"The truth?"

"I can't spring this on them, Jerry. We didn't buy a dog. I can already hear them calling me crazy."

Sighing, Jeremy tried once more. "I don't understand why their opinion matters so much to you, Stevie. Yes, they are your friends of many years, yes, you play in the same band with them, but it doesn't mean you don't deserve what you have now with us - a family. How many times have you cried to me about it? How many times have I heard you curse yourself for not taking a break and taking time to have kids? Well, you finally have it, but you still don't seem happy one bit."

"I am, of course I am, but I'm also scared, that's all. I think, I'm allowed to be scared about this, Jeremy, because this is new to me, okay? Being around Jessi or Beth is one thing, they're basically grown ups already, a sleepover here and there isn't equal to actually being a Mom. What I think is happening right now, is simply everything starting to sink in, that this is real. It had been months that we only talked about it, dreamed about it, but as of today - the dream has become a reality. Maybe at sixty seven, but my life is seriously changing."

Taking her hands in his, Jeremy kissed the back of both, before looking up, as he said. "But you're not alone in this, are you? I'm here, Stevie. I'm with you, I'm here for you to have someone to rely on, to ask for help, to open up to if things aren't going as well, someone to cry to and someone to share the joy with too. Marrying you, I promised you to do all of this, to always be there for you."

Smiling weakly, she nodded. "I know and I couldn't be more grateful to have you. But what I am asking is a little patience with me, okay? I know it's going to be fine, it will be, but I need a bit of time as well."

"And I see no problem with that." Jeremy said, standing up, bringing Stevie to her feet as well. "And I'm glad you talked to me, please, always do that. Don't keep anything locked up inside, share your feelings with me."

"I swear." Laying her head on his shoulder, she wrapped one arm around his middle, as they began climbing the stairs up.

They had almost reached the bedroom, when they heard a quiet voice behind them. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" Stevie let go of Jeremy and approached Lily, getting down to the girl's level.

"I woke up and it was dark. I... got scared." 

Smoothing Lily's hair out, Stevie took her by the hand and led her back into the room, going to turn the bedside lamp on. "Look around, honey, it's empty, right?" Lily nodded, still clutching her teddy bear. "Come on, come back to bed and I'll stay with you until you fall asleep, okay?"

"Okay." The girl nodded again and fell asleep almost right away, as Stevie bent down to press a kiss to her forehead, then after making sure Lily was definitely asleep, she left the room, leaving the light on. 

Stevie got startled herself, when she found Jeremy in the hallway. "You're a natural." He said, taking her by the hand as they then made their way into the bedroom.

~

Right. I received some mixed comments on the last part. I wasn't planning on making this whole story about the adoption, I'm not fixating on that. I have other ideas for this and there's also Buckingham Nicks in the future. BUT. If you don't really like this already, please, tell me, so I don't waste my time.