Part 14

Meanwhile... 

Lindsey was used to getting calls from Stevie at any time of the day now. So, when she called him once again, asking if he could come over, he wasted no time, changing out of the clothes he was wearing around his house, then driving straight to hers. Lindsey was pretty much expecting to hear anything right now, but when he walked through the door, he certainly didn't expect the warm feeling of being at home, as Stevie led him through to the dining room, a home cooked meal served.

"What is this?" Lindsey asked, pleasantly surprised, as he took a seat, Stevie sitting down beside him.

"This is me, saying thank you. You've been helping me immensely lately and I feel like I've been taking advantage of your good heart."

"Oh, Steph... that's crazy talk! You're my friend, one I've known for the better part of my life, of course I'm going to help you, when you need me."

"I know and I'm so grateful to have you in my life." Giving him a small smile, she then added. "Come on now, eat up before it gets cold."

"Yes, Ms. Nicks." Lindsey joked, picking up a fork. "Where's my other girl?"

"Your other girl? We're your girls then, huh?"

"In a way, always."

"Lily's in my bedroom, watching cartoons. I don't know why, but she wasn't feeling very well."

"Oh, poor thing. Could I still maybe go and see her?"

"You love her, don't you?" Stevie smiled, looking at Lindsey, while he didn't mask any of his emotions, being completely honest with her.

"I do. You're probably going to hate me for saying this, but... To me it feels like it's you and me being parents together. You know that's all I've ever wanted."

Nodding, Stevie hung her head low, feeling her eyes getting watery. "Yeah, I get what you mean. Besides, you've been around her more than Jeremy has, I think. Sometimes... sometimes I feel like he didn't want her. It breaks my heart, but it's how I feel. I know that he's looked after her, when we brought her home and everything, I can't say he's completely ignored her, but..."

"No... come on, that can't be true, Stevie." Shaking his head, Lindsey reached for the glass of water in front of him. "Oh, don't cry, please." He embraced her, holding her close, Stevie's arms around him too. "It's just... well, they didn't have much time together, maybe that's the problem."

"Then why do I feel different about Lily? Why do I love her to pieces?"

Resting his chin on top of her head, he spoke softly, rubbing her back. "Because being a mother has always been your biggest dream. You loved her from the moment you saw her if I know you at all. And let's be honest, how could Lily not love you back just as strongly? She's the luckiest little girl."

Chuckling a little, Stevie tilted her chin up, asking. "So, I'm that lovable then?"

"Oh, you're too lovable. You know, it's been fifty years." Referring to himself, Lindsey pressed his lips briefly to her cheek, giving a gentle squeeze around her shoulders.

"I'm sorry for being so emotional, your food probably got cold."

"We can always reheat it. Besides, I haven't eaten anything made at home for too long now, so this is heaven for me."

"How is the divorce process going? I completely forgot to ask you." Stevie took his plate, going to the kitchen to put it in the microwave, Lindsey following behind.

"Surprisingly well. Kristen, I think, had a feeling it was coming, although, most likely sooner than she thought. It's really for the better to all of us. I'm ending a marriage that's lasted quite some time and I don't feel upset at all."

"You don't?"

"No. There's no fighting, there's no questioning anymore. I can leave and come back as I please, I can see whoever I want to see and spend time with. You know, it's as if a huge weight has been lifted. If anything, I'm happy."

"I'm glad to hear it, even if we're talking about divorce."

"Don't you stress about it." Lindsey waved it off, taking his reheated food and sitting down at the kitchen table instead of returning to the dining room. "Again, you'll probably won't like me very much for saying this, but without Kristen... I can love you from afar and that's enough for me if I can't have more."

Sighing, Stevie folded her arms over her chest, smiling sadly at him. "Why are you so damn good with words?" Her voice cracking a little.

"I sure hope I am, it's my bread and butter after all." He joked, trying to cheer her up.

Just admiring him for a moment, Stevie then said. "Stay with me?"

"Huh?"

"Stay the night here. We'll open a bottle of wine and talk, and listen to music, and just be... together."

"Stevie, I'd love to, but... I feel like you're so vulnerable right now. We'll have a couple of glasses and I know how you can get sometimes, I know I will definitely be unable to resist. You'll regret it."

"Oh my God, what have you done to Lindsey Buckingham?" She teased, while actually being very impressed by his chivalry.

"I simply don't want you making any mistakes. Not any more than I've helped you make, that is... We've never been this close to each other, I'd hate to ruin that."

Nodding, she agreed. "I know. I know you're right, just... "

"Just what?"

"Nothing. Nothing." She repeated, shaking her head, hoping her smile was convincing. "So, you want to see Lily?"