Part 23

"Someone's at the door, Evelyn!" Nicole yelled, wheeling Jeremy into the kitchen for lunch. 

Walking to the hallway, without much thought, Evelyn unlocked and pulled the door open, wanting to close it again as soon as she saw who was standing on their doorstep.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see my husband." Stevie said, trying to appear strong, while inside she was crumbling. She never thought she would have to do something like this, to beg someone to let her keep her daughter. 

"Maybe he doesn't want to see you?" Evelyn said, a hand on her hip. 

Thinking he heard Stevie's voice, Jeremy wheeled himself into the hallway. "Evelyn, is that Stevie?"

"Yeah, but why would you want to talk to her after what she told you?"

"Move out of the way." He demanded, getting closer to the door, gently pushing his sister away. He then looked at his wife, who completely ignored the apologetic look on his face.

"May I come in?"

"Sure, of course." Showing her inside, Jeremy allowed her to enter the house, then closed the door himself, for whatever reason wanting to show her he was capable of doing something.

"We need to talk, privately." Stevie added. 

"Let's go to my room then." Leading the way, Jeremy stopped by the door, leaning forward into his chair to twist the doorknob. "I can't believe you're here."

"Don't get me wrong, Jeremy. I'm not here to patch things up."

"Why did you come then?" 

"I, uh... I went to see me lawyer." Stevie began. "And as we were talking, I brought up Lily's adoption. If we're separating, that interferes with the adoption process. That is if you allow it to interfere."

Frowning, Jeremy asked. "What do you mean?"

"Well, say, you decide to come up with some story, drag Lindsey into this, tell the judge I'm not fit to be a mom to Lily. I came here hoping that you don't hate me after I said I want to divorce you. I would really appreciate it if you agreed to change everything and let me continue the adoption as a single parent."

He was silent for a minute, maybe longer, but Stevie didn't want to push him, so she just waited. "And if I don't do that, then what?"

Taking a deep breath and trying to control her anger instead of exploding at Jeremy, Stevie said. "Then it all continues as it is and in the end, at the end of the six months, the judge decides what's best for Lily, taking everything into consideration, it's completely out of my hands. I could also wait until she is legally mine and then file for divorce, but I don't want to wait that long. I won't change my mind, Jeremy. You hurt me and that won't go away, so either way, there will be a divorce." Shrugging. "It's just up to you now if we do this as adults or not."

Jeremy knew how much Stevie loved Lily, it was that reason alone he agreed to start the adoption in the first place. He saw she was determined, why would he drag this out and make it more painful than it already is, knowing the result in the end would still be the same, they would still be separated.

After yet another long pause... "I really am sorry." Referring to what happened with Nicole, he hung his head low. "You're the best thing that's happened to me and I manged to lose you. I love you." Tearing up, he took a moment. "I fell for you so quickly after we met. Everyone kept telling me, reminding of the age gap and all, but I didn't care and I still don't. I was so happy, when you agreed to be my wife, then when you... when you said, I do, it was probably the happiest moment of my life. I realize it's my own fault, I ruined our marriage. I lied to you and I cheated on you... How I wish to take it all back."

"Jeremy, please." Stevie swallowed the lump in her throat, fighting back tears as well. After all, she did love him. 

"I just want to ask you one thing." He looked at her, holding out his hand. After slight hesitation, Stevie took it. "Don't hate me, please. I screwed up, I hurt you, but don't hate me." He begged. 

Using her free hand, she wiped the tears away, saying... "I don't hate you. Yes, I'm deeply hurt, because I just don't understand how can you not love Lily, she's the most precious innocent little thing... She's done nothing wrong to you and you still told me you didn't want her. That's why I'm hurt so badly. The other thing... yeah, I'm not happy about it, but..." Shrugging her shoulders, she couldn't find it in her to admit she was just like him, simply fearing he might turn against her in all these legal battles. "I don't hate you."

Bringing her hand up to his lips, Jeremy pressed a kiss to it. "That's all I needed to hear." He wasn't ashamed to be crying. "Okay. I won't cause any trouble. I know how much you love Lily, I'm alright with everything that needs to happen so you can adopt her on your own."

Stevie breathed out in relief, finally being able to smile, as she bent down and hugged Jeremy. "Thank you so much. Thank you."

Placing a hand on the back of her neck, he pressed his forehead against hers. "Can I... can I kiss you one last time?"

At first, taken aback by the request, Stevie then nodded her answer. 

Cradling her face in his palms, Jeremy looked deep into her eyes, before tilting his head slightly to one side and leaning in to capture her lips softly. She gripped onto his wrist, as they lingered for a moment, their lips locked, but she couldn't allow it to last longer, feeling a rush of emotions overcome her, as she backed away and started sobbing. 

In her heart, Stevie knew this was the right thing to do, she didn't question it, but it was painful nevertheless. Jeremy was the only man after Lindsey, who she thought she could love and settle down with. She tried and once again it was proven to her that there was no other man besides Lindsey for her.