Episode One: United is not an Option [Teaser]

Central City, USA, Earth 1. May 2016.

Barry sat alone on the front steps, thinking about everything. His father, his mother. Everything he'd lost. Everything that had gone wrong in the last six months had gone wrong because of Zoom, and although Zoom was defeated now . . . Barry just couldn't shake a feeling of regret. Of hopelessness.

Nearby, he vaguely registered the sound of the front door opening and closing. He turned his head. Iris appeared and made eye contact with him. Barry sighed and looked away as Iris closed the door. She joined him, sitting down on the top step. She didn't say anything, waiting for him to speak first. Eventually, he did.

"Can't stop thinking about my dad's doppelgänger. Seeing him, knowing that he's out there, that should've made it easier."

Iris didn't reply.

Barry continued. "It doesn't. It just made me miss him even more."

Iris replied, "I can't even imagine how hard that must've been."

"We just won. We just beat Zoom." Barry shrugged, unable to make sense of the situation. "Why does it feel like I just lost?"

"Because you've lost a lot in your life, Barry. More than most."

Barry leaned his head back against the porch beam he was sitting against. Iris made sense, but none of her words were making him feel any better. Iris, sensing this, sat forward and continued.

"But. Maybe you and me, seeing where this thing goes. Maybe that can give you something for a change."

Barry looked forward to Iris again. He smiled and slightly laughed. That's all he'd ever wanted to hear her say.

"That's all I've ever wanted to hear you say."

Iris smiled, but Barry couldn't muster up another one. In that moment, he made up his mind about what he was going to do, and he knew that he couldn't promise himself to Iris if he succeeded. He continued, "And I wish that I was in a place where I could try that with you."

Hearing this, Iris looked down, but Barry continued.

"But I feel so hollowed out inside right now." Barry started shaking his head. "I feel more broken than I've ever felt in my life. If I'm ever going to mean anything to you, I need to fix what's wrong with me. I need to find some—some peace."

Iris nodded her head. After a sharp intake of air she spoke kindly.

"Barry," she took his hand, "listen to me. You waited for me for years. You let me get to a place where this was possible. So I am telling you, I am gonna do the same thing for you. Wherever you need to go. Whatever you need to do. Do it."

Iris's words resonated with Barry. It was as if she knew what he was thinking. What he was planning.

She was still talking, "And when you get back, I'll be here." She was done.

Barry nodded, "Okay."

Iris stared at him for a moment. "I love you, Barry."

Barry was stunned. He moved in for a kiss, and she did too. Time seemed to slow down, and for the first time in two years, it wasn't because Barry was using his powers. They moved closer, and finally, after all this time.

They kissed.

Everything that had happened, every time they had gotten a glimpse of West-Allen from the future, or another Earth. This was the first step to Barry being in a relationship with Iris.

And then the kiss was over, but the energy wasn't.

"I love you too. And I always will," Barry spoke honestly from his heart. He loved Iris more than anything in the world.