Episode One: United is not an Option [Part 2]

National City, USA, Earth-S. April 2016.

"Okay, do the forks go on the left, or the right?" Alex finally decided to ask, "I can't ever remember."

"Forks go on the left, knives go on the right," Kara chimed in.

"Really?"

"It's the way you eat," Kara chided, stating the obvious, "how do I know that?"

"I—I eat with my fork in my right hand," Alex defended.

"That's because you were raised by wolves," Eliza, Alex's mother, interjected. Alex and Eliza shared a look and laughed.

Meanwhile, Winn was counting utensils and placemats, "Six, se—Hey you guys, we have," Winn paused to double count, "we have one extra setting."

Eliza quickly jumped in, "No, no. Leave that one there. It's for Jerimiah. For when he comes back." Behind her, Hank stared in her direction, doubtful. Internally, he wished that Eliza had never found out about her husband, just in case he couldn't be saved.

"He will, mom," Alex replied in the meantime. "I give you my word. We're gonna find Project Cadmus, and we're gonna bring him home."

"Together." Hank stated, coming to the table with food. He and Alex nodded hopefully to each other while Eliza left for the kitchen counter.

From the next room, James emerged. "Hey Kara, can I borrow you for a second?" Curiously, Kara followed.

In the next room, James cleared his throat and picked up a canvas-sized gift and held it in front of him. Instantly, Kara anticipated that it was a gift for her. It took all of her restraint not to use her x-ray vision to determine its contents immediately.

"So, I've, ah, taken a lot of photos of Supergirl, and this one is really special."

Kara smiled, slightly embarrassed and blushing. What a nice thought. "That's so sweet."

Kara reached towards the gift and undid the brown paper wrapping from it. She found that even when she did, the actual picture was still facing away from her, heightening the mystery. Excitedly, James flipped the frame with a "tah-dah" and displayed the actual picture. It wasn't a picture of Supergirl, just of Kara. While not smiling, and wearing her glasses, her hands were crossed over her chest as she carried some kind of clipboard. The photo was grayscale with slight sepia tone, obviously intended to leave an inspirational impression on the viewer.

Immediately, being slightly self-conscious, Kara judged the image. She was squinting, this wasn't a Supergirl picture, this was taken at CatCo, she wasn't prepared for the camera. But behind it all, Kara seriously appreciated the picture, and appreciated James for making the gesture.

"Oh." Kara said. Blushing slightly, she made a few jabs at the picture. "I'm squinting."

"No, you're—you're smiling. With your eyes." James said, looking down at the picture. He looked back up at Kara and smiled at her.

"Like you are now."

Kara smiled and looked up to James. One of the things she appreciated about him was that he was able to look through her and see what she was actually thinking. Like how she actually appreciated the picture.

"It's what happens when you're happy," James continued.

Kara smiled. "Yeah, I am happy." Kara took the picture and admired it while smiling. "Thank you."

"Of course."

Kara set the portrait down next to her. When she stood back up, her and James embraced in a kiss. It lasted several seconds until Alex called from the dining room.