Episode One: United is not an Option [Part 7]

D.E.O. HQ, USA, Earth-S. April 2016.

Hours later, Kara sat with Kon inside the newly-developed Solar Chamber inside the DEO. Months ago, the DEO had created a device called the Sunlamp, which they used to help Kara after she'd depleted the solar energy in her cells while fighting Red Tornado. However, it had been ineffective and was a poor imitation of yellow star radiation. Later, the Solar Chamber had been developed in case Supergirl would need to face such a foe again. It was an entire room filled with high-powered, high-concentration Sunlamp panels.

After a long (and loud) argument with Lucy, Kara had been allowed to bring Kon into the chamber and expose him to yellow star radiation for the first time in his life. After a few hours, Kon had noticed that his cells were beginning to charge up. He had been frightened at first, wondering why he could hear things happening far away, or why he started floating into the air randomly, but Kara had reassured him that these things were supposed to be happening.

Both Kara and Kon were still somber over their discussion of Krypton. Kon especially, had been hit by the tragic loss of everything he had ever known hard. His entire life had changed in a moment, and to him, it really hadn't even begun to sink in. From Kon's point of view, it was like a dream. Nothing had been proven to him, and barely any time had gone by. Even so, Kon believed what Kara had told him, and he hadn't taken it so well after the initial news.

However, his mood had improved faster than expected after going into the Solar Chamber. To a Kryptonian, being exposed to yellow star radiation leaves a feeling of being energized, electrified, and powerful. It's like being brought to a higher level of awareness and living, and that experience naturally lifts moods. So while Krypton never left Kon's thoughts for a moment, he wasn't totally depressed like expected.

It was also tough on Kara's part. Watching Kon go through the process of losing Krypton yet again was like reliving the experience of losing it herself. She was brought slight happiness by the fact that Kon was distracted by the promise of new powers. However, she knew that in a couple of weeks, once being charged by the sun was normal, Kon would feel the emotional devastation of losing everything all over again. And by then, the idea would have sunken in, rather than being so sudden. That thought caused Kara pain as well, but she did her best to hide it.

Kon didn't want to be left alone with anyone for a moment, only trusting Kara; and knowing that no one surrounding him was his species – although he was aware that Hank was a Martian. Because of this, Kara stayed in the Solar Chamber with Kon. She found that she began developing a slight headache from the sudden massive influx of radiation, and Kon occasionally informed her that her face, and in particular her eyes, had begun spontaneously glowing. However, Kara chose to remain in the chamber with Kon and tell him everything about Earth.

Kara told him about how she had gotten here versus how Clark had. She told him about Fort Rozz and about the many aliens that had sprung forth from it. She told him about the most powerful aliens who could physically stand up to Kryptonians – Coluans, Klaramarians, K'hund, Almeracans, White Martians, and a few others. Strangely, Kon showed intense interest in the White Martians; wanting to know everything about them, from capabilities to technology to culture. Kara found this strange, but brushed it off and moved on.

She told him about the few cases of metahuman-ism on this world, namely Leslie Willis and Siobhan Smythe. She told him about the dangers of Red Kryptonite, the potential dangers of Blue Kryptonite, and what it meant to live on Earth.

She told him everything. She recounted the uneventfulness of her life before she became Supergirl (with the exception of Cat Grant. She mentioned the Queen of All Media, but decided to gloss over what she was like for simplicity's sake), and recounted what she knew of Clark's life and of Superman. She told him about National City, which she protected, and she also described Metropolis. She told Kon briefly about other large cities nearby that Clark often protected, such as New York City. She told him the story of the past year, including Myriad, and Non and Astra.