Chapter 42.

Chapter 42.

Looking into his eyes, feels safe. I can't turn away but I want to. Well, that's a lie I could stay like this all day.

I feel like the whole restaurant has frozen and it's just Colten and I.

Colten soon breaks the eye contact and goes to the booth with his friends.

After twenty minutes the tension is so thick I can barely breath. I realize then that my throat is closing up. I feel trapped.

"I'm going to go get some air." I tell the girls at my table.

"Do you want me to come?" Brittni asks. Of course she would ask that. She's such a good friend, how did I ever end up being able to deserve her? I think that's the problem though, I don't deserve her.

"I'm okay, Brit. Thanks, love you." I kiss her cheek and grab my bag. Walking past all the tables and chairs I make it to the exit and the cold air hits me like a brick. It feels nice.

I take a big, deep breath trying to relieve this knot in my chest. Sitting down on the curb in front of the restaurant I take in all the city lights. Tall raised buildings with lights that light up the sky. It's beautiful.

A few minutes later I hear the front door to Armando's open and I feel the warm air hit my back. Just so you know, a black hoodie is not warm enough for this weather.

Without having to look up I already know it's Colten. He takes a seat cautiously and we sit there in silence. The tension is still pretty heavy but with the cars driving by and just the open space it seems less heavy.

"Where were you today?" I blurt out. I hadn't planned on starting the conversation but I guess my mind had other plans.

"Places."

"Oh, so we've resorted to that?" I shake my head with disgust clear in my voice. How dare he? First, he tells me he made a mistake and now he's not telling wheres he been. Wow.

"I don't know what you want me to say." He says harshly.

"Whoa! Shouldn't I be the one that's mad?!" I abruptly stand up and he does too. I run my fingers through my hair.

"Why would you be mad?!" He's yelling now.

"Oh I don't know! Maybe because Saturday you told me you made a mistake and then left! Not to mention, no text, no call, and you didn't show up for school! So I don't know Colten! I don't know why I'm mad!"

"You're not the one who lost your best friend to a girl, Nikki!" Ouch.

"You're unbelievable!" I groan. I start pacing back and forth. Honestly, I don't understand.

"No! You're unbelievable! I can't believe you can't understand where I'm coming from!" He yells in disbelief.

"Oh course I understand! Asshole!"

"Then why are you saying I'm unbelievable?!"

"Because you are! You're telling me that you made a mistake by telling me your feelings, only because of my brother and your friendship?! That's just fucking low Colten, even for you."

"See. You don't understand! Stop being so damn selfish for once!"

"Fine. I'll stop being selfish. What do you want oh-so-mighty Colten Mathews?" I'm so enraged right now it's hard for me to think. One minute he was so sweet and now he's cold as ice. I don't understand how this happened. I really don't.

"I don't fucking know! That's why I'm having this conversation!" He shouts in a 'duh' tone.

"Wow." I feel tears threatening my eyes. But I refuse to let them fall. I refuse to let him see how bad he affects me.

The door opens as I glare at Colten. Brittni, Chelsea, and James come out. I hadn't even noticed I was crying until now. I don't know what made me break but all I know is it probably has something to do with the cold ass glare that Colten is sending me.

"Let's go, Nikki." Brittni says. I ignore her, of course. James decided to go by Colten like his little back up dancer.

"Your such a pretentious prick!" I scream. Yup, I'm not done yet.

"And you're a little bitch!" He yells coldly. Before I can think to hard about my actions I take a step closer to him and punch him right in the jaw. He staggers back a few feet before putting his hand up to his jaw. I swear I see hurt flash in his eyes before it's replaced by rage.

"Asshole." I mutter, loud enough for him to hear. I turn away as the wind hits my tear stained cheeks. I feel Colten's hand grip my wrist and he spins me back to look at him.

Brittni and Chelsea run closer to where Colten and I stand and James seems like he's about to punch Colten, for putting his hands on my like this.

"We're not done." He says coldly.

"Really? Maybe you're not, but I am." I glare. This new found confidence has been replaced inside me. I like it.

"No, I still have tons to say." He grits his teeth. He's insane.

"Get your head out of your ass, Colten! We're done!" I scream in his face before yanking my arm free of his grasp and grab Brittni's hand and head to her car.

He doesn't deserve me. I try to tell myself. I don't want him.

So what did you think? Pretty intense? I was trying to go for a very intense fight so I hope you like it. Enjoy.

Like and comment :)