Chapter 3

Luke's point of view    

After we escaped the gym I was about to start walking home when I noticed that Sam had stopped walking and was trying to hail a cab.
When he noticed that I was still walking he said, "wait" 

"what for, our apartment is only a couple blocks away?" I asked. 

he said, "because you can't go home, it's not safe there." 

"Why wouldn't I be safe there? It's my home," I asked him. "And what about my mom I can't just disappear without telling her where I went?"

"I'll let her know," he said. 

I sighed in defeat and said, "If I'm not going home where are you taking me?"  

He answered "A camp for people like us" 

"People like us?" I questioned.

He said, "I'll explain on the way there." 

A cab finally stopped for us, and we got in. As we drove Sam started talking in a hushed tone so the driver wouldn't hear us. He began to explain to me what was going on.

He said that we were going to a summer camp; he said that the Greek gods that my mom had told me about were still alive. when he said that I looked at him stunned, I said, "That's impossible, they're just myths from thousands of years ago,"
I thought I heard a rumble of thunder, but that wasn't right it was a sunny day no indication at all that it would rain.
he looked slightly uneasy after that but he said, "You will believe eventually,"
He continued and explained that I was a demigod, the child of a regular mortal and a god. part of me was still skeptical, but what he told me did sound right somehow no matter how crazy it sounded. I wasn't quite ready to accept what he was saying so I said, "I still don't really believe you can you prove it?"  

He sighed and then said, " Luke immortal means immortal, as long as their domains are intact the gods will live on," 

he glanced at my face and sighed again He explained that the summer camp was a place where demigods could live in safety. He explained that once we got to the camp my father would claim me. 

I said, "so if what you are telling me is true are you a demigod?"
Sam answered, "No I'm a satyr." as if to prove his point he kicked off one of his shoes revealing a cloven hoof. I stared at it for a moment before he continued explaining.
He said, "I was sent into your school by the camp that we are going to, to see if there were any demigods there..."
"And you found me," I said, cutting him off.
he nodded I finally accepted that no matter how crazy his story was it sounded like the truth especially after seeing his hoof, and what had happened in the gym. I also began wondering about other things that I had seen over the years that hadn't made sense.

I was rather shocked to learn that my father was a Greek god; I was also kind of annoyed that he hadn't helped us at all. You would think that being a god he would be able to do what he wanted. more than once in my life, I wanted to get angry at my father for hurting my mother by leaving us, or for not helping us out at all, but my mom would always tell me not to blame him, that he hadn't had a choice but to leave us. Sam noticed my irritation and said that there are ancient laws that prevent the gods from helping and visiting their children as often as they would like. I decided that I wouldn't judge my father until I met him. 

He explained about monsters, that they can smell demigods and that those things in the gym were Laistrygonian giants  One of many kinds of monsters. He explained how demigods were trained so they would be able to survive and to protect mortals from the monsters.

  We were still talking when the cab driver said, "We're here but are you sure this is where you want to go?"
"Yes," Sam said quickly and handed the driver some cash.   We got out of the cab and it quickly drove away. I looked up at our destination. I saw a large pine tree at the top of a hill there looked to be a pile of cables coiled around the base of the tree. Hanging over one of the branches looked to be an animal's pelt, but unlike most, it wasn't black, grey, white, brown or red. It was gold, I glanced the tree again it was still gold but not only that what I had previously thought to be a pile of cables wasn't a pile of cables it was some kind of animal.