Chapter 8

Luke's point of view

Despite the early start to the day we tried to let the day go as normal as possible, but that wasn't really possible. We were all on edge the tree looked fine but the general feeling of unease throughout the camp made us suspect otherwise. We were all waiting for the army that was supposed to be coming to attack us. Partway through the morning the alarm horns blared, we all rushed to half-blood hill, but it wasn't the army it was a girl and a boy who I assumed was a demigod and a satyr, or two demigods. They were being chased by the Minotaur.

I ran over and yelled, "hey beef brain!"

 the creature's head whipped in my direction, he sniffed the air and afterward made a mooing sound  that made me think that he was confused.  Perhaps he didn't recognize my demigod scent since my dad is a newer god and only has me and Christina, and neither of us have fought the Minotaur before.  Hudson, Scooter and Christina had run up and joined me they were standing on either side of me.

Apparently the Minotaur had gotten over his confusion and decided to charge at us. We scattered I moved to the left and ran behind him while I was behind him I tapped the gem on my ring and it transformed into my sword.  While the monster was sniffing the air figuring out where we were I ran at him and literally stabbed him in the back.  The monster crumbled to dust like the laistrygonian giants had. 

After beef brain was gone we learned that the two people that he had been chasing were both demigods, later that day the girl was claimed by Athena and the boy was claimed by Hermes.  They were taken to be trained almost immediately after they arrived. As much as we may not like it they would have to fight when the time came.

Percy's point of view  

In the morning when I was getting up I received another Iris message from Chiron, he explained that he feared that something was wrong with Thalia's pine tree, due to a general uneasy and vulnerable feeling that everyone at the camp was feeling.  Suddenly I heard the camp's alarm horns blare through the message, "what was that?" I asked him.

 "I'll have to find out," Chiron said.

 I nodded and he swiped through the message.  I wanted to know if those alarms meant that the army had arrived, so I used my mirror to show me Christina.  It showed a scene that made me a bit less worried, since it wasn't the army but I was still worried for her, Luke and, all the other campers that were facing my old enemy beef head. I decided I would watch to see what happens if only to know if my children and the other demigods can defeat him.  When Luke got beef head's attention away from the two demigods he had been chasing I chuckled at the similarity between the name he used and my name for the Minotaur.   What worried me the most was when beef head charged he crossed over to the other side of the hill which meant that the magical barriers had fallen like Chiron had suspected, but I had no clue what could have caused them to fall since Chiron had said there were no signs of damage to the tree. I just wish beef head could have stayed dead a while longer.

I watched as Luke defeated him. After I had seen all I needed to a council meeting was called.  I quickly teleported to my throne and once everyone was there the meeting began. Zeus asked if we thought that the demigods were prepared for the battle. We said that we thought that they are as prepared as they could be in the time that was available to us. Apparently the Amazons had once again agreed to help the romans while the hunters would be helping camp half blood. But I was still worried; I also told them that the protective barriers around the camp had fallen. This caused chaos in the room most of us were trying to figure out what could have brought them down.  But in the end I silenced the council and told them of my intentions to assist the demigods when the battle began.   Most of the gods protested bringing up the ancient laws.