Chapter 39

Luke's point of view.

"You will die demigod!" Echidna yelled at me before charging at us. "Yeah sure we can take you." My dad said to her. She made another sound of anger, now that she was closer I could see that her skin was a greenish colour and claws sprouted from her fingers.

She swiped at me but out of instinct I ducked apparently I didn't need to though since the moment she had lunged at me my dad had frozen her in time. my dad said "Really is that the best you can do? I ducked under another swipe of her claws, but we need to get this over with. Dodging her attacks isn't going to cut it we have to defeat her.

The next time she tried to swipe at me with her claws instead of ducking like I had the previous times I swiped at her with my sword, however I must have been a little off with my strike because instead of simply knocking her hand away, I instead cut it off. She let out a shriek of pain and her eyes were filled with hatred. She was about to try and take another swipe at me but she didn't get the chance. A black shape zipped out of the sky, I quickly realized that it was blackjack. He kicked her in the back of her head somehow she didn't fall but she stumbled and that was when I quickly moved forward and stabbed her. My dad said "thanks Blackjack but we could have handled that." Blackjack replied "Yeah sure boss but I was bored."

My dad just shrugged in response. Blackjack spoke again and said "Nice seeing you again boss Jr." After he said that my face felt hot I'm sure it was tomato red. My dad was doing a poor job of stifling his laughter. I said "Blackjack! Stop that!" He replied "sure boss Jr." I let out an irritated sigh and looked at my dad who was still struggling to contain his laughter and asked, "Can you get him to stop that he won't listen to me."

Now that his laughing fit had mostly subsided he said Blackjack quit calling him that." Blackjack replied "only if you give me donuts" and then said as if it was an afterthought "and sugar cubes." "Fine after this battle ends." my dad huffed. "You let him get away with that?" I asked he said "sometimes it's the only way he'll listen, he's a stubborn one." Blackjack replied "I heard that boss, Horse ears you know." And then he added as an afterthought "and your one to talk boss."

Shortly after that blackjack flew off. While we were talking to blackjack we had continued to fight, although for a while we didn't encounter much more than telekhines, empousai and other less powerful monsters. We were gradually getting pushed back further and further into the city by the sheer numbers in Tartarus's forces, no matter how hard we fought there were just too many monsters. Even with dad's help we were getting pushed back.

Annabeth's point of view

I was fighting hard just like everyone else to keep the monsters as far away from Olympus as possible, but even with Hermes and Ares Helping somehow we were still getting pushed back. As I fought I noticed a guy not far away get knocked down by a cyclops's club. Before the monster could make the fatal blow I fought my way over and killed it. I fought off a few more monsters until the guy groaned and slowly got to his feet.

When he was back up he said "Thanks for that, I thought that cyclops was going to kill me." I responded "No problem." Then he said I'm Adam by the way." I replied "Annabeth although you probably know that already." He nodded and from that point on we concentrated on fighting off the many monsters that came at us constantly.

I regret everything that I did for Tartarus, and despite what everyone may think of me, I don't like seeing People die like this. I want to make up for what I did somehow, but I know that I probably can't, I helped an enemy of the gods People will probably always hate me from now on and I probably won't be able to earn their trust again. I was a fool to let Tartarus convince me to help him, I should have known not to believe a word he said. But I was blinded by anger, hurt, and Jealousy.

I was angry that all my friends and the gods had turned on me, when I broke up with Percy I blamed him for things that weren't even his fault. I was hurt that all my friends were ignoring me and that Percy wouldn't take me back, and I was jealous that the gods and demigods all favoured Percy. More than anything I wanted Percy back, I wanted him for myself.

Now I know that he is over me and I have to try and get over him too, maybe even find someone else myself. But I can think about that later, now I have to concentrate on making sure that Tartarus doesn't win this war, otherwise we will all die, and the entire mortal world will be destroyed. If Tartarus leaves any people alive, their lives would be horrible.

Percy's Point of view

As the battle continued we were pushed back further and further into the city, in the midst of the battle I was separated from Luke I could only hope that he would make it out of this okay, I don't think I could handle losing him not long after losing Christina. That and the fact that like always I would probably blame myself for not saving him like I have done for every other Person I have lost including Christina. I couldn't imagine what I would say to Amber if... I forced those thoughts out of my head and continued to fight, I would make sure that didn't happen I couldn't stand to lose my only child.

Every so often I would see different people fighting nearby. At one point I saw Thalia and a group of hunters. One time I saw Nico with a force of the dead. After a while I saw none other than Grover at my side. Grinning I said "Hey G-man." he said "Hey Perce, I rallied as many of the nature spits as I could, but I didn't have time to talk to all of them.

I came back as soon as I heard what was going on." I said "Well it's nice to see you G-man, too bad it wasn't under better circumstances." He nodded in agreement. While we were talking we had continued to fight, but we soon stopped talking and concentrated on fighting. I killed a telekhine, a dracna, an empousa, and several other monsters.

After fighting for quite some time I noticed something up ahead that just didn't make sense at first. But the explanation I came up with sent a shiver down my spine. Up ahead I saw a monster that Luke had defeated not that long ago, but somehow he was back already. There is only one reasonable explanation for why Beef head was back so soon.

Tartarus must be among his forces somewhere, causing monsters we had already defeated to reform faster than they normally would. On the bright side, if there even is one. He is outside of his domain, so he should be weaker than the last time I saw him. Especially after creating Anastasius and Piper's giant. Hopefully summoning all these monsters is weakening him, and by the time we get to him he might be weak enough for us to take him down.

When we succeed, we can't afford not to. He will have been defeated outside of his domain, which will mean he will have been left in the same state as Ouranos, and Gaea who were confined to their domains no longer able to take on a humanlike form. For now though we just have to concentrate on defeating these monsters.