Chapter 53

A/N this  chapter will probably be another sad chapter, but we are almost done with those for this book, the first part of the next chapter will probably be sad as well, but after that things should cheer up a bit.

Luke's point of view

We gathered in the amphitheatre where the shrouds of all the fallen demigods were going to be burned. My father and Chiron stood by the fire where the shrouds would be burned. Before the first shroud was placed on the fire, Chiron spoke briefly about the fallen hero, and one of the demigod's siblings came forward and recounted memories of the fallen demigod. The same thing happened before each shroud was placed on the fire.

For Nathan and scooter, a sibling spoke about them. I couldn't bring myself to talk about scooter, and I hadn't really known Nathan that well, other than the fact that he had been Christina's boyfriend. The reason why I was so bothered by his death was because he had basically sacrificed himself for me and the others that Tartarus had captured. One after another the shrouds were burned. Even after all the shrouds had been burned, the mood in the camp remained somber.

After the shroud burnings were finished we all wandered off to continue with our usual activities. Now that the war was over Nico di Angelo had resumed teaching the sword class, and Chiron was once again the only instructor for archery. I assumed my dad had returned to Olympus after the shroud burning since I didn't see him around camp afterward.

That night, for once, my sleep was dreamless which was a relief considering that I didn't need dreams to worry about since I already had everything that had happened in the war. The next morning I got up, got ready, and went to breakfast when the conch horn blew. As usual I sacrificed food to my dad, finished eating my breakfast, and then went off to my first activity. After archery, and a failed attempt at the climbing wall I was about to go to my next activity when my dad walked up to me.

Noticing the few small burn holes in my shirt he asked, "climbing wall?" looking slightly amused.

Slightly embarrassed I just nodded.

I guess that since he could tell that I wasn't really hurt he was amused instead of concerned.

Hoping I didn't sound rude I asked, "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but why are you here?"

Obvious amusement still on his face my dad said, "Did you forget what I said yesterday?"

I thought back to our conversation the day before and realized what he must be referring to. I said, "Oh right."

 Dad just chuckled amused.

He asked, "Are you ready?"

I answered, "As ready as I'll ever be."

He nodded and grabbed my arm before teleporting us away.

I wasn't sure how I felt about visiting Christina in the underworld, I was pleased to be able to see her one last time, but I was still a bit nervous.

When we reappeared we were obviously in the underworld. My dad let go of my arm and began leading me toward a building that was obviously Hades' Palace. When I looked at it I realized that it looked a lot like the throne room of the gods on Olympus. I realized that he must have built it that way back when he wasn't welcome on Olympus. I followed my father, and I glanced around I saw what was obviously the fields of asphodel, and further away the fields of punishment.

Slightly confused I asked my dad, "I thought we were going..."

Cutting me off he answered, "We are, but I have to speak with Hades for a moment first." I nodded accepting that.