Chapter 11

Percy's point of view

The next morning I returned to camp half-blood, we figured the army would arrive today. The Hephaestus and Hermes cabins were setting up traps, while some of the Apollo cabin and some of the hunters climbed trees where they could easily shoot from.  The rest of the hunters and Apollo cabin remained on the ground.  In case the army got past our main force some of the veteran campers were in a smaller force prepared to protect the city.

Chiron, the Athena Cabin, and I discussed strategies.  A few more of the Apollo campers were staying out of the battle and would be healing our wounded. We were all gathering on half-blood hill waiting for what was to come. I could tell that everyone was nervous Hades even I was nervous, sure I knew I couldn't die but I wasn't worried about myself I was worried about the campers and in particular Christina and Luke.

I may have just adopted Christina but I care about her as if she was my own flesh and blood. But I was even more afraid for Luke he just got to camp three days ago and he is being expected to fight in a war with very little training.  It would be foolish of me not to be worried. I paid a quick visit to camp Jupiter where   the legion was getting into position. Like at camp half-blood a smaller force of veterans was positioned to defend new Rome. The amazons were also there preparing for battle.

I spoke briefly with Reyna and Hylla and then returned to camp half-blood. I stood at the front of our forces as we waited for our enemies to arrive.  After waiting for quite a while which I will say was torture for the demigods, one of our archers yelled, "They're coming."

Around the same time I sensed the presence of three other immortals, I was pretty sure that one was a minor god or goddess, and I had a bad feeling that one was a titan. As for the last one I wasn't sure what it was it could be anything from a Titan to a giant. No matter what it was this battle would be difficult.

  As the enemy army got closer it became clear that one of our enemies towered over the others meaning he was a giant. Worse still I recognized him, my father's bane Polybotes. He looked the same as he had the last time I had seen him green dragon legs, basilisks for hair and carrying a net and trident. 

I knew that I would be able to help a camper take him down since I'm a god but I knew from experience that giants are tough opponents to beat even for gods. I am sure that many faces paled when they saw what we were up against so I felt that I should say something since I was basically leading our forces again.

I turned to the ranks of campers and hunters and I said "Don't be discouraged, you are some of the greatest heroes that have ever lived we can win this, we have to win this, remember that we aren't just fighting to win we are fighting for our friends, our families, our home and we are fighting for Olympus." I shouted "For Olympus" the campers and maybe even a few hunters repeated my shout. (I'm not the best with speeches or pep talks, but that was the best I could come up with)

When I turned back around I recognized the two figures that were at the head of the enemy army. One was a Titan in golden armor that I recognized instantly Hyperion Titan of light.  I scowled when I saw the second figure it was Annabeth chase, same blonde hair and grey eyes, but there was something different about her eyes they used to look intimidating but now they looked almost sinister. Due to the fact that she was partial immortal she looked to be the same age as the last time I had seen her, even though she would technically be in her thirties now. I think it is safe to assume that her fighting skills were just as good as twelve years ago since she had probably continued to train after joining Our enemies so she wouldn't lose the skill she already had.   

Once the enemy army was close enough to us Hyperion stepped forward and said, "Our master has agreed to let you live if you surrender,"

 I thought to myself like Hades he would whoever Hyperion is working for I didn't figure he would spare the demigods. Like every other enemy we had faced they probably wanted to take over and chuck us gods in Tartarus and that is definitely not where I want to go on vacation.

In response I said, "We won't surrender,"

 Hyperion said, "very well attack!"

 my plan was that I would take on the stronger opponents  such as Hyperion and whatever minor god or goddess was there, not to mention Polybotes. so for my first opponent I went toward Hyperion.

Riptide appeared in my hand, earlier I had made armor appear on myself.  When I reached him he said, "Perseus Jackson we meet again, although I suppose it's just Perseus now isn't it? since you accepted immortality. I'm surprised the gods allowed you to join them considering the way they are," 

I responded sarcastically saying, "yeah you titans are so much better."

 He said, "you can think what you want but you will fall along with your precious demigods. You don't have the power to defeat our master." 

In order to try and get more information I said, "Who is this master you keep talking about, last time I checked you only work for Kronos."

He laughed and said, "like I'm going to tell you Jackson it will be easier to defeat you when you don't know who you're up against." 

 I had to admit He had a point there. He said, "Enough talk now Jackson you may be aware that now that you are immortal you cannot fight me unless I invite you to do so."

 I said, "actually Hyperion I have a newsflash for you, one of my domains happens to be heroes, so you are basically attacking my domain, so I don't need your invitation to fight you." 

While he was still surprised I glanced over to see how the demigods were doing.  Christina was battling a dracna, Luke had just defeated a telekhine, the Apollo, Eros campers, and hunters were firing arrows left and right. I also noticed that Nico was battling Annabeth.  After I looked around I returned my attention to Hyperion. I got into my fighting stance and made the first move.

I swung my sword at him and he blocked it with his own, but I knew that I had caught him off guard.  We battled back and forth for a while he tried to light himself but I would put it out as quickly as he would do it. After a while of battling back and forth he managed to catch me off guard and I slowed time in order to avoid being stabbed.  Even as a god he was a tough opponent but it certainly wasn't as hard as the first time I had fought him. I thought back to that day, it was during the second Titan war, we had fought in Central Park at the reservoir and I had used my powers from my Dad along with my skill with a sword after battling him for a while I had sent him over to Grover who along with help from the other satyrs had turned him into a maple tree.

This time though I am a god so I am more powerful than I was then. I would say that he was getting annoyed that I was doing so well against him, after I got the advantage he said "Perseus it doesn't matter if you defeat me you won't be able to defeat my master." After that statement I made the fatal blow and Hyperion returned to Tartarus where he belongs.