Chapter 14

Chapter 14
Tarna
I woke to the feeling of clothes almost suffocating me. I didn't realized what it was till I pulled back and realised that I was safely locked to Malcolm's chest.
I smiled, happy that he was here and nuzzled my head into his chest. For the first time in my life, that gap inside of me didn't feel so empty. My wolf was still longing for a pack but for now she was happy to be in the arms of her sleeping mate.
After what we had been through last night, as soon as my head hit the pillow, the blackness took over and I was sure that it was the same for Malcolm. I had been inside of his head too long and it had drained me. Physically and emotionally. I couldn't get the memories out of my head. The sound of his voice as he screamed for his other mate. I could still feel the empty hole that was inside of him. It would have to take a strong person to have lived with that for five years. But he was. He was my strong mate.
Stopping my thoughts, Malcolm groaned, rolling onto his back, waking when he tried to take his arm that was underneath me.
He frowned, looking between me and his pinned arm, not understanding why I wasn't giving it up.
"Can I have my arm back?" He asked in his sleepy voice.
I shook my head, "you put it there."
"I'm sure it would have been by accident," he corrected.
"I'm sure it was."
He chuckled under his breath. I gave up and gave him back his arm which he stretched to get feeling back. I laughed a little before rolling on my back with a sigh and staring up at the cave roof.
I felt something in my hair and it wasn't until I turned my head a little that I realized that Malcolm was playing with it. He looked like a cat playing with a toy. His eyes watched each strand with such intensity that it was like he had never seen hair before. It brought a childlike grin to my lips that I had to hide under my curled hands as I turned on my side to watch him. Eventually, he took three small strands and started to plat.
"You really do like playin' with hair, don't you?" I asked, knowing it was a stupid question.
He nodded frantically, like a kid wanting ice cream which only made my giggles to grow.
"Don't laugh at me," he told me but it didn't help, "I would say that it's the only weird thin' about but it's not true."
"Right, shiftin' into a wolf is at the top of that list."
He nodded, shrugging.
I don't know why, but my head was suddenly transported to when Malcolm had told me about his brothers' mates.
Before I could stop myself, I started, "your brothers, their mates are human right?" He nodded, "how did they take, the whole werewolf thin'?"
He sighed, "Liv better than Amy, but still, not well. Callum and Liv were out in the forest where they were attacked by a rogue, Harrison. Callum shifted to protect her, breakin' her whole belief system. She ran from him once he had shifted back but he ended up bringin' her around" I nodded, "and when Amy came to Faol Coillie, Liv didn't want Amy to know. But a vampire attacked her and Archie snapped its neck in front of her. She wouldn't let anyone near her except from Liv so Liv had to explain it all to her. Well, enough so that she wouldn't go runnin' to the villages."
I couldn't help but laugh.
"You laughed? Did I just make you laugh?"
I nodded, frowning, "Aye, why are you so surprised?"
He shrugged, "I don't make people laugh."
"I don't know why, you're a funny lad."
When his eyes flicked to mine, containing their sorrow and guilt, I realized why. Dead girlfriend and dead baby kind of takes the fun out of funeral.
He sighed, rubbing his eyes, "Okay, tell me what we are goin' to do today, Little Wolf?"
I sighed, knowing that he was trying to change the subject but it made my mind start to wonder. I wanted to try and test out his wolf again. This time, he needed to have full control.
"Do you trust me?" I asked him making his brows drop in worry.
"Do I have to answer now or can I have time to think about it?" he asked.
I shrugged, "You can do whatever you want but it's not goin' to change what I have planned."
"W-what do you have planned?" he asked, trying to ignore his little stutter.
Personally, I thought it was cute that he was a tiny bit scared.
"I want you to shift," I told him, making his eyes go wide before he controlled himself and returned to the emotionless stone.
"W-whatever happened to my way or the highway?" he asked.
"And I stand by that. I'm not goin' to force it out of you. I think it might help if you shift by your own accord," when I saw his eyes fill with fear, I added, "I'll be there with you Malcolm, all the way."
"That's what I'm afraid of," he muttered.
"Malcolm, you need to stop thinkin' your wolf as some monster that is just waitin' to take over. You need to start thinkin' your wolf as you. Not two people, one."
"But if I do that, that means I have to accept every single thing that my wolf has done when it took over."
"Well, maybe that's what you need to do."