Chapter 23

Chapter 23
Tarna
I didn't have time to process the information. I was already hunched over the toilet bowel, vomiting up anything that was in my stomach. It wasn't much.
Through my gags, my eyes watered wanting it so badly to stop. My hands clawed at the bowel, wanting to rip it to shreds just to get this thing out of me.
I couldn't pregnant. There was no way I was having a baby.
The sad part was that I knew I was in denial. The test was positive and explained everything that was going on with me over the last couple of weeks. I just didn't want it to be true.
Knowing that I couldn't do this on my own, I took out my phone that Malcolm had given me just last week and found Liv's number in it.
After two rings, she answered it.
"Hello?"
I couldn't even speak. A lump the size of a golf ball was squeezing my voice box and cutting off my breathing.
"Hello?" she asked again, "Who is this?"
"T-Tarna," I stated, not recognizing my own voice.
"Tarna? What's wrong? Why are you crying?"
I didn't know. I didn't know the answer to that and that only caused my tears to fall harder.
"Is that Tarna?" I heard Allie ask.
"Why is she calling you? Wasn't she going to lie down?" Amy asked.
"Tarna where are you?" Liv now asked me.
"B-Bathroom. Malcolm's a-and –."
"Just wait there, Tarna," she told me, "We're comin'."
They were in the bathroom next to me in less than a minute, confused of my sudden state.
"Tarna?" Liv asked cautiously, moving slowly to my side.
I hadn't realized that I still had the stick in my hand until I looked down and felt my stomach stir at the sight.
"What's going on?" she asked me.
All I could do was hiccup and hand her the stick.
"Oh my God," she said instantly, "You're pregnant."
"Oh my God!" Allie and Amy yelled in unison before dropping down next to me on the bathroom floor.
"This is amazing," Amy said, "You must be –."
She stopped when the finish of her sentence didn't match my face.
"How could this have happened?" Liv asked me, "Were you trying?"
I shook my head.
"Then, we're you using protection?"
I frowned, "Liv we don't need guns. We have claws and can turn into a wolf. Why would we use protection?"
"No, Tarna, protection," Allie corrected, "Like a condom."
I frowned again, "What?"
"You don't know what a condom is."
"I'm sorry. They don't teach sex-ad in the forest!" I snapped.
"Calm down Tarna," Liv told me, cupping my cheek.
I did feel sorry for snapping but my emotions had been put into a washing machine and they were just turning and turning.
"Liv, I can't have a baby," I said, my voice sightly normal, "I don't know anythin' about babies or about being a mother," oh crap, I was going to be a mother. My head went into panic mode.
"Liv, I have no idea how to be a Ma. I mean, my birth mother left me in the forest to be eaten and the only mother that I did have, kicked me out. I can't do this!"
"Shh, Tarna you're panicking."
"Aye, join me!"
"Calm down, you'll learn how to be one like everyone," she reassured me.
"And we'll all help," Amy added.
"Aye, if you think you're rasin' my niece or nephew by yourself, your wrong," Allie told me.
"We're sisters, and sisters don't abandon each other."
I smiled taking Liv's hand, sniffing. I had never had a sister before.
"And you'll have Malcolm every step of the way," Liv reminded me.
Oh crap Malcolm. I was going to have to tell him. What if he takes it the wrong way? What if he disowns me because of it?
"Malcolm," I started trying to get my thoughts in order, "do you think he will want it?"
"Why wouldn't he? He loves you and he's already done this before."
"What?" Allie said before I could.
Liv didn't realize her mistake till then. Her eyes dropped and she bit her lip and it was only than that I realized that Allie didn't know.
"Wait," Allie started, "Bonnie was pregnant."
"Bonnie?" Amy asked, "Malcolm's mate or girlfriend, whatever?"
"Malcolm didn't tell them?" I asked Liv getting the first answer out of her as she shook her head.
"Liv," Allie said sternly, "Was Bonnie pregnant?"
She nodded, still not looking at her.
"Oh, my God!"
"Allie, we didn't want to –."
"We?" Allie question, "Who else knows?"
"W-well, there's me and Tarna –."
"Who else?" Allie pressed.
"Callum and Archie."
"Great!" Allie yelled standing.
"Wait, Archie knows and he didn't tell me!" Amy yelled.
Skipping past Amy's question, Allie yelled, "So once again, Graham and I are the last to know!"
"No, it wasn't like that," Liv told her, "Nathair and Hector Macangus. When we were in the tunnels, when Malcolm found out that they had poisoned Bonnie he said it. I told Callum because I thought he should know the real reason why his brother turned away."
"But not us. That was not your choice to make, Liv!" she yelled.
"We wanted to tell you, we were going to," Liv told her, "But we thought that it would be best if Malcolm told you."
"But you thought it was okay to tell Archie,"
"We didn't tell Archie. Malcolm did."
"What?"
At the mention of my mate's name, I emptied the last of my stomach. The yelling stopped and I felt hands on my back, helping me through it. Through my heaves, I heard the door close.
"Amy?" Liv called.
"I'm sorry, Tarna," I heard Amy yell from behind the door, "But I really can't watch you vomit. It's too gross."
If I wasn't vomiting everything that was contained in my stomach, I would have smiled.

Malcolm
Because of my interrupted sleep last night, I had been a zombie all day. I had only sat down on the stairs for five minutes before my eyes closed and my mind began to wonder.
It was five years ago and it was supposed to be one of the happiest moments of my life but instead, turned into one of the most misery.
I was coming back from the library. Callum and I had just endured one of the most boring meetings of our lives and I needed time to just empty my head. Hopefully in the arms of Bonnie. I knew that she was in our room, hell, she barely left unless she knew that I would be with her.
I frowned when I found the room empty. My mind instantly came up with ideas to where she was when I heard her soft whales from the bathroom.
Seeing Bonnie, a crying mess wasn't a new sight. At least three times a month I would found her like this. But what I found was not what I was expecting.
Bonnie, hunched over the sink as red liquid dripped from her wrists. My heart caught in my throat as I realized what she had done.
"Bonnie," I said, trying to keep my voice calm though I was furious.
How could she be so unhappy when I did everything in my power to make her as content as I could?
She fell to her knees as I took her wrists, trying to put them under the water. Her soft whales turned into screams as I tried to stop the bleeding. Her wounds weren't life threatening but, my gut was turning at the idea that she was in so much pain.
"Stop, stop!" she cried trying to take her wrists back.
I let them go, not wanting to scare her or distress her further.
"Bonnie, Bonnie," I said trying to calm her as she started to shake.
I feared that she would shift and that I wouldn't be able to help her. But she stayed in her human form.
"What's wrong?" I asked her, taking a firm grip of her shoulders.
When she didn't answer, I asked again, "what's wrong, Bonnie, what's wrong?"
"I-I'm...pregnant."
The joy that filled me only lasted for a second when she fell into tears and became a blabbering mess on the floor. She was trying to kill herself because she was pregnant. She didn't want to have my baby? I blinked back my tears and bit my lips because I knew that she needed me to be strong. I had to be the strong one.
"Bonnie, it's okay," I told her, sitting her up, "We'll get through this."
"No!" she cried, "I don't want this baby. I don't want to have this baby."
I could feel my heart breaking. I wanted this baby, I wanted this – no Malcolm, I told myself, you don't want this baby.
"Well, killin' yourself isn't the answer," I told her, trying to swallow my lie that I was telling myself.
"I don't want this Malcolm," she cried, "I just want it to stop."
"We will make it stop," I told her, "But killin' yourself and killin' the baby isn't goin' to get it."
"You're not listenin' to me!" she yelled, "I'm not havin' this baby!"
"So you would kill an innocent life?" I asked her.
I didn't mean to yell and I hadn't realized that I had until a new batch of tears fell from her eyes.
I knew that she didn't want the baby and I knew that she wouldn't change her mind but I couldn't stomach the thought of killing something that was a part of me. Even if it was just a bunch of tiny cells.
I sighed, finding an option that would suit her, "Adoption."
"What?" she cried.
"You have this baby," her cries thickened, "And then we give it to someone who wants it, who will care for it."
She was too busy hiccupping to answer the idea.
"It could be our good deed," the words sounded pathetic on my tongue but it was the truth. Perhaps giving up something that was supposed to bring me joy would cleanse my soul of all my mistakes.
But Bonnie wasn't in the right sense of mind to make decisions. Not when she would barely speak, stand or do anything.
As I tucked her into bed, I made the quick decision not to tell my siblings. Not until Bonnie was herself again and she had had a check up to see if everything was okay with the baby.
But that didn't happen. I had killed –
I woke myself up before I opened that box that I had closed over the last couple of weeks.
God, why was I thinking about that? Why, when I had been so happy over the last couple of weeks?
Just put that part of your life behind you, Malcolm I told myself, for Tarna's sake and your own.