-=+Chapter Five+=-

-=+Chapter Five+=-

     I dipped the pen in my ink jar for no doubt the hundredth time, the once full jar now running low. Hours had been spent here, as it was approaching morning. I didn't want to stop writing, nor did my body let me. This seemed to happened every time- I'd sit down to catch up on journal entries and I'd be at it for hours on end. This time, however, it was taking even longer. Despite being here for only a few days, these islanders had given me a lot to recount. Setting down my pen, I clipped my latest entry into the brown journal, and thumbed through the other one's I'd written over the night to see if there were any details forgotten.

/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/

Captain's log #132

     Ianerea has burned to the ground. As much as I had wanted to fight for my town, my Lady Ianite bid me not to. The goddess said I was needed, that I had to take my crew and find her champion, who resided on some lost island of champions. Her voice and message to me was clear, but she left me with so many questions. With only a single direction, how was I to find some island, much less one inhabited and protected by the gods and their highest warriors? If we did find it, how would I know who her champion was, if he or she was even there at all? Was my getting along with him or her mandatory? There's no possible way I could even feign friendliness to a champion who did not return to notion, be they important or not. I just hope they're decent.

...

/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/

     The account went on, but I skipped over the rest of the page. It went on to report weather conditions, and tussles between the crewmates. Drowsiness tugged on my eyes already, and reading boresome information wouldn't help my case of staying awake.

/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/%/

Captain's log #139

     Though seemingly growing weaker, Ianite continues to visit me every once in a full moon during my dreams. She means to comfort me, to remove some of the stress placed on my shoulders, but her efforts are futile. I merely want to know what her champion looks like, in hopes of not having to wander countless islands in search of him. All my Lady was able to tell me was that her champion was, in fact, a boy. He came too late during her decline of abilities for her to know what he looks like. She's left him little traces of her presence- she's shown me a few. Signs in a broken cage, armour, and words of her through her brother Mianite. Once, when he first declared his belief in her, she was able to hear his voice through the power spurt he gave her. I had listened intently as she played the sound of his voice for me, but when I awoke I was dismayed to realize that it had vanished from my memory. Other than that, my goddess has no knowledge of her champion.

     Luckily, I didn't have to wait much longer. After weeks on the sea, we stumbled on what seems to be the Island of Champions, as Ianite had called it. Even before our boots had hit the sand, the four supposed champions had come to greet us. Dianite's champion had been obvious. Though he was rather welcoming and excited at our arrival, Thomas- though the others only call him Tom- had the devilish smirk, glare, and silver tongue of his predecessors.

     The one by the name of Tucker, or Jericho, wasn't hard to identify as Mianite's main champion. He was quick to defend his comrade, preparing to slaughter us at the threat we posed. I'm wary of trusting him; he seems too impressionable. His devotion runs too deep, to the point of disregarding his morals and what he believes to be right, just to appease his god. He seems like he'd be unable to stand against his god, perhaps even being a danger to his friends if Mianite declared a desire for their blood. It worries me.