-=+Chapter Fourteen+=-

I jolted awake, shuddering with beads of sweat building on my face. The heat from the sun shining through the window onto my face didn't help, though the rest of my body was freezing. I bundled the blankets around me tighter, rubbing tears from my eyes.

     'Why didn't you notice Furia was behind you?'

     "I don't know. I really don't." My whisperings were almost inaudible even to myself, muffled by the blankets and voice hoarse enough. Rolling onto my back, I watched as the building dust from neglecting to clean danced around, highlighted by the sun. A small purple particle, though still bigger than the others, caught my attention. It lulled around in spirals, looping own towards me until it landed on my nose. My vision doubled as I stared at the pulsing purple speck that had landed on my nose, nothing more than swirling bits.

     There was an explosion of pain from the tip of my nose, and I yelped as I swatted at the particle. It blinked out and vanished, leaving me alone with the throb in my nose. Looking towards my window, I could see more of the same flying purple orbs, varying in size and shade, floating around outside my window. The bedsheets tumbled ad fell off the bed as I rushed to the open window, slamming it shut before anymore could get in.

     "Kate?" Redbeard called up. "There be an issue outside." I rushed around the room to get dressed, barrelling through the front door of the house as I squashed my hat on top of my head. In the fields outside our house were dozens of the swarms, and the grass a few metres away had begun turning a deep and sickly purple. Vines crawled along the grass, grey-ish in colour, and the surrounding water in the ocean had a thick purple tint. I groaned, mentally cursing the new realm and it's magic.

     "Aye, I'll go find the Prince lad and ask 'im about it." Redbeard grumble something about working in the second level of the house as I headed towards the town, starting out at a faster walk until I was running as fast as I could as the swarms began chasing me. My boots pounded the grass and dirt of the valley until I hit the bridge, the purple swarms straying away and heading back towards the ocean. The townsfolk gave me peculiar glances as I quickly walked down the streets, sweating and no doubt a mess. I already knew there were various scrapes on my face from the swarms. The farther I got to the castle, however, people began moving and gathering near the front gates. A commotion and clamour drew my own attention, and I pushed through the crowds. Tucker was pressing a man up against a wall, sword to his throat.

     "TUCKER!" I yelled, unsheathing my own sword and grabbing his shoulder. He turned around, irritation in his eyes.

     "What? Capsize, I'm busy-" the man he had been threatening made a dash for it, and Tucker sprang off after him. "OH NO YOU DON'T!" The two left trails of dust flying as they ran, and in the distance I could see Tucker take a leaping tackle at the man before they disappeared over the crest of the hill. The crowds began to dissipate with the action apparently over, wandering off to do finish their business or just milling about.

      Light footsteps came up from behind me, and a soft hand landed on my shoulder. I turned around to see Sonja, who was smiling bashfully. "Don't mind him, Capsize. He got a job as a bounty hunter, so that's all he's been doing lately." I scoffed.

     "Ah, I see. An' for a moment I was worried he'd stay outta trouble in this realm." She laughed openly, the cheerful sound drawing attention from a few elderly ladies chatting nearby, who smiled kindheartedly in our direction.

     "That would be too boring. Speaking of boring, Tom decided to hold a bit of a Tinkers' Construct party starting in a few minutes, and he wanted me to pass the message to you. We're all going to make hammers. Want to come?" I weighed my options, thinking back to the purple bug swarms invading my house. It could be a serious problem, but at the same time I was being invited to spent some time with friends, to which the bonds needed to be repaired. Shrugging, I stuffed my hands in my pockets.