Five

"Favorite color?"

"Rose gold."

"Is that even a real color?"

"Of course! Have you never seen rose gold jewelry?"

"No, I haven't. I don't usually wear jewelry."

"Surely you've seen someone else wear it."

"Nope. I'm a guy. I only know the basic colors: red, blue, yellow, etcetera. I don't follow all your girly fashion trends. What kind of color is rose gold anyways? It sounds awful."

"It is not! It's really pretty! I think you'd like it."

"I think you're wrong."

Summer and I were currently sitting in a Pinkberry, firing questions at each other. We figured it was the best way to get to know one another since we really didn't know much. I think we had been sitting here for at least thirty minutes after we finished our yogurts.

I had made fun of her when she picked some fruity flavor and topped it with even more fruit. Then of course she made fun of me for getting chocolate flavor and piling on the candy. We constantly teased each other back and forth over the smallest things, but it was all just fun and games.

So far with our one hundred question game, I had learned quite a lot about her. She was nineteen years old, and I was older than her by four months. Her birthday was in June, and she was born on the first day of summer that year, hence her name. So her birthday was in a couple weeks. She was born in Los Angeles, but had lived most of her life here in New York. Her parents apparently traveled a lot for their job, and since they had a shit load of money, they always hired a nanny for her as she stayed in New York. Summer hadn't really had a great relationship with her parents because they had been away so much of her childhood, but they always paid for everything of hers. She didn't like it because she wanted to earn her money herself rather than feeding off of her parents, but they continued to put money in her bank account.

"Okay," she said, squinting her eyes off in the distance. "If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?"

I thought about this for a second before looking up at her, "Italy."

"Italy? Why there?"

"Well the di Lorenzos are from there. They always talk about it, and I've just wanted to go visit."

"di Lorenzos? Is that the family that owns the restaurant you were working at?"

I nodded my head, "Yep. They're nice people."

"What do you do there if you don't actually waiter?" she asked, staring at me curiously.

"I clean the kitchen and set up the restaurant in the mornings. I only waiter if there's a last minute no-show," I admitted embarrassingly. Here I was, admitting that I'm basically a janitor for a restaurant, while she probably works in some fashion magazine building. I was such a loser.

Summer furrowed her eyebrows at me, "That's really nice of you to do that. I've always wanted to try waitressing, but my parents never liked the idea of me working."

"Really?" I asked, completely surprised by her answer.

"Yeah. They didn't really want me doing anything that made me look like 'lower class,' as they put it."

Well shit. I'm lower class to her parents.

"Um. If you want to waitress for a day, I could ask Filomena. I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"Would you really do that?"

"Yeah," I shrugged my shoulders. "I mean, if you really want to try it for a day, I don't see the harm."