Eight

Summer and I finished up our meal at the pizza place before we headed outside to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. That was the weirdest thing ever. How on earth did she get us a table when the line was out the door to be seated? I didn't get it. There was something I was missing.

Somehow, Summer managed to get us an extremely fancy table that was secluded from everyone else. It was crazy how she did it. And of course she wouldn't even tell me. What was there to hide? Did her parents know the owner or something? 

I gave up on asking her about it because all she would do was laugh and shake her head, telling me it wasn't important. It seemed like no use in trying to get the information out of her.

The two of us walked down the street to the the start of the walkway for the Brooklyn Bridge. Summer held onto my hand the entire way there. Not once did she let go to walk on her own. It was like she was attached to me, quite literally.

It was a nice feeling to have someone always wanting to be with you. Unlike Isabella, who always wanted to be with me for the sex, Summer was here because she liked me for who I was. Or so she said. That still was a mystery for me. I guessed I would just have to take her word for it.

"Harry, this is gorgeous! Look at the view!" Summer exclaimed as we started walking on the bridge. She pointed out across the water and towards certain buildings.

"Have you ever walked this before?" I asked, curious because of how she was reacting.

She shook her head as her cheeks turned pink, "Nope. Of all the years I've lived in New York, not once did I get to come out here. Is that sad?"

"Um, kind of," I laughed. I stopped us from walking and spun us around. "Here, let's get a picture." 

I pulled out my phone and walked up to the nearest stranger, asking if they could take our picture together. When they saw Summer standing next to me, their eyes had slightly widened. Why was this everyone's reaction to seeing us together? Was I really that bad?

I waited for them to snap our picture together before they seemed to rush off towards their friends. I swear, people these days are fucking weird.

"This is incredible," Summer smiled at me. "Thank you for this."

I shrugged my shoulder, "It's really nothing. I didn't know you've never done this. It's not a well planned date, that's for sure."

"But I like that. It keeps it interesting and adventurous and spontaneous and fun."

"You think so? Because if you'd rather have nice, fancy, planned dates, then just say it."

She smiled before shaking her head, "No, these are the best kinds of dates."

Summer stood up on her tiptoes and met her lips with mine. She deepened the kiss as her hand raised up and held onto the back of my neck. Instinctively, my arm wrapped around her waist to pull her closer to me. We kissed in the middle of the walkway, not caring that other people were probably watching us or getting mad that we were blocking the walkway. We were in our own world, and that seemed to be all that mattered. 

When the two of us separated, Summer looked embarrassed at all the people who had been staring at us. She buried her head in my chest and nervously giggled. I still couldn't fathom how she came to like me. There's nothing special about me at all. I'm just average looking with messy hair and an inability to tell a joke properly. What could be so special about me?

 "People are staring."

I looked down at Summer and laughed as she seemed so embarrassed, "How about we keep walking?"