Chapter Nine Part 2 "New Girl"

Ten minutes later I forced my mom out of the car.

“It’s n-not that I’m n-nervous or anything” I squeaked in a shrill voice that sounded foreign to my ears as we made our way to the main entrance, “It’s just that… I… I’m… I’m not nervous okay!”

“I know darling” My mother bit out as she tried to extract her hand from my painfully tenacious grip. Her other hand rubbed the tensed muscles of my back in soothing rhythmic circles.

“Thank heavens you were still there waiting in the parking lot when I came looking for you” I said in a relieved voice. “Wait a second!” I exclaimed pulling my mother to a stop as glared at her with suspicious eyes “What were you doing in the parking lot for ten minutes?”

My mother resumed walking again as she averted her gaze. “I was waiting…” she replied back elusively. “Waiting for what?” I asked curiously.

“Fire alarms…” she muttered ominously

And with that she pulled me into the main office.

*

“Well here is your schedule Miss Adams. “Replied the middle-aged brunette behind the intimidating glossy metallic desk.

I stared at the name printed on my schedule with dubious eyes.

“Adams?” I whispered to my mother with a raised brow.

Angels and demons don’t have surnames. That is a human practice. But out of all the surnames I could have received I get ‘Adam’ as in from Adam and Eve. The first man.

No surprises as to who picked surnames.

The lady behind the desk leaned desperately closer in an effort to eavesdrop on our conversation while she continued to gawk at my mother with incredulous eyes.

My mother gave me a serene 1000 watts smile.

The lady behind the desk almost fell out of her chair.

“And you are?” she asked my mother in wonder and awe, her voice burning with curiosity. My mother graced her with another one of her keep-staring-at-my-face-and-forget-what-you-asked smile. It sounds rather narcissist but it works.

The lady continued to stare at my mother in anticipation.

Hmm… must never underestimate a woman’s curiosity. I sighed as I lied for my mother, “She’s my elder sister,” I told the nosy lady with a poker face. Fine maybe my left eye was twitching a bit… or a lot.

Luckily the lady was too busy gawking at my mother to pay any attention to me.

My mother and I had decided that we would pretend to be sisters since nobody would ever believe that the willowy twenty-two year old blonde sitting next to me is actually my mother.