11. I'VE HAD BETTER DAYS

The whole time walking to Angelo's house it was silent. Ryan wasn't saying a word, neither was I. We saw practically no one walking the streets, and nearly no cars. Whether it was because it was school hours, or because of Ryan's presence, I don't know. But, it creeped me out.

Ryan's small explanation still made no sense to me. I had to be human. I had to be. I didn't feel the need to drink blood. I didn't change on a full moon. None of that. I couldn't walk trough walls. I couldn't read people's minds.

"Angelo and the others are on their way to his house. They'll meet us there." Ryan said as we turned the last corner, Angelo's house a few hundred metres down.

"Why don't you want me getting mad at them?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Because, it was my idea to do all of this. And, I sorta gave them no say in the situation."

I smiled slightly, "Do you always risk your life for other's?"

"Only the ones I see something in." He said, smiling himself.

I blushed, yet held my smile, "Thanks, I guess."

I may not have actually known Ryan for long, but we had been speaking for weeks before we met. I'd be lying if I said speaking to him didn't bring a smile to my face. Sure, I was a bit bitchy at first, but we later got closer and more open in our conversations. I could actually say I had a friend that wasn't my brother or the guys.

Just as we made it to Angelo's driveway, the guys rounded the corner, Ryan Ashley surprisingly with them.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adored her, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure if she knew of any of this. Hell, I didn't even know about any of this.

To say I was surprised when Ryan Ashley and Ryan actually hugged would be a severe understatement. Even Josh was surprised, and he usually showed no emotion. Maybe that's what he was... An emotionless ass...

Angelo snorted, trying to cover it up with a cough.

"What?" Chris asked, looking down at Ange with worry.

He shook his head, looking at me before back at Chris.

Angelo must be able to read minds, asshole. Chris must be some tree. Devin is a makeup kit, and Vinny is a leaf. Whenever shit gets awkward, he flies away...

Angelo but his lip to hold back another laugh, "Are you okay, Ricky? You seem a little... immature."

I rolled my eyes, "Just trying to keep an open mind. After all, I'm going to need to think positive. Especially with all Ryan just told me."

Chris deadpanned, "Uh, yeah, about that..."

"We should take this inside," Ryan said, "It's not exactly safe out here."

"And in there is?" I questioned, shooting a 'no offence' look to Ange.

"Angelo's mom put a spell up," Josh muttered, making his way to the front door, "It's safer than anywhere else."

I sighed and followed the others inside and into the lounge room, sitting on the single lounge chair.

It was silent for a minute before I spoke up.

"You guys have some serious explaining to do." I mumbled, staring at the coffee table, "And I don't mean letting Ryan tell me everything. Each of you have to do it yourselves. Especially you, Devin."

I looked up at him, just in time to catch his pained expression.

Yes, I felt bad for making him explain everything at once, but he had kept this from me for, by the sounds of it, years. At that point in time, I wouldn't be feeling too bad for them.

Angelo sighed, deciding to start off, "I can read minds. I have been since I was six years old. When I first met you, I knew you weren't human. I didn't think too much of it, but then your behaviour started to change and you were able to do things others couldn't. Only, I saw that once. Then you stopped."

"I'm also telepathic, only slightly stronger than Ange." Chris murmured, "My story's really the same as Angelo's, only I've never seen what you're fully capable of."

"I can freeze and set things on fire." Vinny mumbled, fidgeting with his fingers, "That's what happened to your jumper, by the way."

I nodded my head, "And you two? Are you at least human?"

Josh and Ryan Ashley shook their head, Josh speaking up for the both of them, "We're both able to control the way humans think. Nothing too extreme, really."

I let out a forced, dry chuckle, "Nothing too extreme my ass."

Devin sighed, "I... I manipulate the human body. I can break a few bones, that's all. I've noticed things off with you my entire life, but you've always taken care of me. When Ryan came to me and told me what was going to happen to you, I wanted to join him in helping. I-I thought it would be a good way to, not only save you, but find out what you are."

I shook my head, standing up, "I've had the shit beaten out of me my entire life, and you're all telling me you can do this shit?! You could've done something! You could've-"

Devin stood up and held an arm out, "Ricky-"

"No!" I jumped back, running a hand through my hair, "Don't touch me. Ryan has done more for me when it comes to them than any of you have. You're all inhuman, and can do things that could've changed everything. Now..."

Devin made another move to touch me before I stepped back, shaking my head.

"Stay away from me." I mumbled, my voice cracking, "All of you."

I turned on my heel, running straight to the door and pulling that open, my legs taking me to the only place I felt comfortable in; my room.

I may've over reacted about it all, but I just wanted to be alone. Over ten years of my life was made up of lies. Almost fifteen was made up of daily beatings. Knowing that the guys, my brother, could've done something to help made me feel a million times worse about it all.

"Ricky... I told you not to be mad at them."

With my back still against the door and my legs against my chest, I balled my fists, "You don't know what I've had to take, and what I've had to give up just to be alive. You have no idea, Ryan. None at all."

"Come here."

I looked up, seeing that he was sitting on the edge of my bed, one hand out.

Slowly, I made my way towards him, sighing when he pulled me in for a hug.

"I've been around longer than you know, Ricky. And, believe me, I've tried my best to stop those things from getting done, but I didn't have the ability to make physical contact, then. And, Devin wanted to help you, they all did, but not even they knew what they were capable of. Murder at a young age wouldn't help them. You've got to understand that they tried to do as much as they could."

I sniffed, "Still..."

"Still, what?" He asked, looking down at me.

I shrugged, closing my eyes.

He sighed and lightly kissed my head, "Get some sleep."

"It's only four."

"You're tired, Ricky. Sleep."

"Can you stay?" I mumbled, gripping his shirt a little.

He nodded and moved so was lying down, "Yeah, of course."

Needing the closure, I curled up against his side, his steady breathing aiding me to sleep in no time.