18. BLAME

RYAN

Before my eyes, I couldn't believe what I witnessed.

From the power and strength, Ricky knocked himself out, but that isn't what got my attention.

Corey was unconscious in the air, blood dripping out of his nostrils and out of the corner of his mouth.

No one else was in the house. Corey wouldn't do that to himself, and I certainly didn't. He said Ricky was dangerous, maybe this is what he meant...

I pushed the couch back and under Corey to make sure he wouldn't fall on anything too hard, then bent down to try and wake Ricky up.

"Ricky," I lightly tapped his cheek, "Ricky, come on, wake-"

I was cut off by a force pushing me back and into the coffee table, causing my head to knock the corner of it.

I groaned and lifted a hand, hissing when I finally found the cut.

Ricky had never done this before. Not when I first met him, and not when we were married. It scared me, because he had absolutely no control over his powers and could easily kill me if he wanted..

"Ricky!" I yelled, hitting his chest.

He gasped and jolted up, instantly making Corey drop on to the couch.

His breathing was heavy and uneven as he took in his surroundings. Finally, his eyes landed on me and he crawled forward, holding my face in his hands.

"Oh my- fuck- what- Ryan?"

Ricky lightly pressed a finger to the gash on my forehead, causing me to hiss.

"Sorry.." He pulled his hands away, then looked to Corey's unconscious body, "I... I did this, didn't I?"

I nodded, but covered one of his hands with mine, "You had no control over it, Ricky, it's fine."

He shook his head, "No, I can't.. I need to go."

I wanted to object, but I also had a part of me saying that he needed to leave.

I couldn't have Ricky here. I loved him, but I just couldn't. It wasn't that I didn't want him hurting me or Corey, I didn't want him hurting himself. Like I said, he had no control over anything, so it would take a small incident for him to snap and hurt anyone and anything near him.

Once I heard the front door slam shut, I sighed and fell back on the floor, covering my eyes with my arm.

"Fucking hell." I mumbled, shaking my head.

He was already blaming himself. I truly did want to tell him that it wasn't his fault and mean it, and that it wasn't too bad, but I couldn't. After having that happen to both Corey and I, I knew what Corey meant. He knew about all of this before me. But I don't know how. Ricky never did any of this. Never. It didn't make sense.

Sniffing, I pushed myself up and crawled to where Corey was, lightly hitting his shoulder.

Hopefully–hopefully– he wouldn't be too mad at me. After all, I practically saved his life. If I didn't push that frigging couch there, his neck would be twisted.

With a groan, Corey opened his eyes.

"Where's Olson?"

"Gone." I muttered and pushed myself up and onto my feet, my concussion making my vision blurry.

He frowned, then looked up at me, "You're bleeding."

"No shit." I snit, swaying slightly.

Corey sighed, slowly sitting up and wiping at the blood trickling down his face, "Sit the fuck down, kid."

"I'm no-"

"It wasn't a suggestion, Sitkowski. Sit the fuck down."

I huffed and did as he said.

I let him patch my head up, slightly pissed at the fact that his cuts and bruises–well, whatever the hell it was that caused him to bleed– healed instantly.

I didn't really pay all too much attention. I was just worried for Ricky. He left in a bad state, going god knows where, and was most likely still blaming himself. I just didn't want him getting hurt..

• • •

RICKY

I placed a hand over my chest and tried my best to calm my breathing down.

I could've killed him. I could've killed Ryan. The thought brought tears to my eyes, and the tears brought heavy breathing to my chest. I didn't even remember anything before that. All I know is that he was bleeding because of me. Any worse, he could've died. Creature or not.

I threw my head back and stared up at the sky, wondering why I got stuck with this sort of ability. Hell, I wouldn't even call it an ability.

My breathing had finally settled down and I found myself at a bridge, the water running under it soothing me.

I walked until I was standing close to the edge, throwing my arms over it and dipping my head with a sigh.

I couldn't do this any longer. Twice might not seem like a lot, but it is. I've hurt Ryan twice. I could've even killed him from one of them. How I would be able to live with myself knowing I did kill him, I don't know, but it wouldn't be pretty.

What if it were Devin I did that to? My own brother.

It was becoming near impossible. It was getting harder to breathe just thinking about it, but there was nothing I could do. Whether I liked it or not, I didn't have the guts to end it all. Being this close to a ledge just freaked me out.

I didn't want to die. Not at all. I just wanted it all to stop...

--

A/N: This will probably have a few more chapters left, but I will have a sequel, because the ending wouldn't exactly be fair on those of you who wasted valuable time reading this thing. 😂💓