13. HIATUS

I tapped my pen against my desk, staring out of the window as my teacher continued his lecture, not exactly caring about my lack of commitment.

"What's wrong?"

I sighed, "Nothing."

Ryan taught me how to talk to him like he does to me before school, and, man, am I grateful he did. Now I didn't need to look and sound like a crazy guy speaking to nothing. Believe it or not, it pissed me off more than it should've.

I guess you could say the looks people gave me stopped. I guess. They still treated me the same way, but they were paying less and less attention, which I was glad about, because I hate being the centre of attention.

"Bullshit, Ricky. I can tell when you're not feeling well. Physically and mentally."

I let out another sigh, "Nothing you need to worry about, Ryan. Trust me."

He, too, sighed, "Okay, just... Just let me know if anything is wrong, okay?"

"Okay."

I absolutely adored the fact that he was genuinely worried about me, but I didn't really want to speak to him at the point in time.

I told him about my dream–about us in the dream– and he didn't say anything. Nothing! He just used the 'we should get going' excuse, and let it go. I know I should, but I can't. He seemed so.. careless.. about it all. I know I should be, too, because it was just a dream. But I can't just let it go as easily as he did. I'm nineteen years old with less than a year of school to go, why am I so caught up on a fake marriage and family?

"That's it, I'm on my way to your class."

My eyes widened and I shook my head, "No, Ryan, it's fine. I'm fine."

I watched as my teacher left the room, a few seconds later Ryan walking through it.

Every student took this as an opportunity to start their own conversation whilst I stared out of the window, more than aware that Ryan was walking to me.

I heard him pull a spare chair out, then I felt his hand on my knee, causing me to jump.

"Hey," He frowned, "What's wrong? And, don't say nothing, because I know it's something."

I shook my head, not turning to him, "I just have a headache. The dream is still on my mind, and it's starting to hurt."

He moved his hand back, then shuffled back a little, "W-What part of the dream?"

I bit my lip, "My brother. I actually thought he was dead.."

It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth. I did think that Devin was dead, but that wasn't what was on my mind.

As much as I hated lying to Ryan, I wasn't going to tell him the truth, either.

I continued staring out the window, my eyebrows furrowing when I saw a man in a coat a hundred or so metres away.

"Ryan," I mumbled, my eyes glued to the figure, "Who is that?"

Slowly, Ryan stood up, taking the small step to the window.

As soon as he touched it, the man practically dissolved.

I stared with wide eyes, about to say something before dozens, if not hundreds, of crows flew towards the class room. They were so fast, they didn't even slow down when they got close.

Ryan yelled for everyone to get down and pulled me under the desk, covering me with his arms.

I heard the students let out their yells and screams and I squeezed my eyes shut, my fists clenched. Then, like that, the noise stopped.

I raised my head, as did Ryan.

The crows were still in the air, only they were still. The students all covered their heads, crouched and huddled over one another and under their desks. Everything was frozen. Apart from Ryan and I, of course.

I blinked several times before my head jerked to the side, the crows instantly flying out with ear bleeding screeches.

I didn't even bother ducking, I just let them fly past me. I was too shocked to even blink.

Unfortunately, the shock grew so heavy, I couldn't even stand, or stay awake.

I fell into Ryan's arms, my body weak and heavy.

RYAN

I caught Ricky with ease and picked him up bridal style.

"What the hell was that?" One of the kids asked, to which another repeated.

"Who're you?" A girl asked, her voice quiet.

"Someone you don't want to know." I said, walking past everyone and out of the class with Ricky unconscious in my arms.

"Everyone at Ange's house now. No doubt you've heard what happened."

I tuned them out, my eyes focusing on Ricky.

He looked so peaceful, but no doubt was having another nightmare. Or, it was just black. If he was dreaming, I hope it's something good, or happy.

When he told me about his nightmare, I was shocked, at first. Then, for some strange reason, I actually thought about it. I've only ever been in one relationship, but that didn't end too well. Not for me or her.

I had never thought about having a relationship with a guy, or a girl at that, because I just didn't want anyone to get hurt. But, no matter how hard I try, I always end up falling for someone. And, I hate to say it, but, I may be falling for Ricky...

• • •

With his head on my lap, Ricky stirred slightly and turned so he was laying on his side. Thankfully, away from there.

I ran a hand down his arm, frowning down at him.

I looked up, just in time to catch Devin's cheeky grin.

"What?" I asked, subconsciously playing with Ricky's hair.

He raised an eyebrow, still grinning, "You have a thing for my brother. And.." He then scrunched his nose up, "That's disgusting.."

I rolled my eyes, looking down to try and hide my blush, "I don't, I'm just worried."

"Uh huh."

Suddenly, I felt every muscle in my hand grow tighter and tighter, causing me to quickly move it away from Ricky. That didn't work, though, because my hand just got tighter.

"Ricky," I shook him with my free hand, groaning when the same happened to that, "Rick!"

He gasped and sat up, instantly taking the pain away.

"W-What did I do?" He stuttered, looking from the guys to me.

"When?" Angelo asked, "At school, or to Ryan just then?"

He turned to me, his eyes wide, "What?"