Part 5

-----------

"Fi, I don't know about this anymore.."

"Marshall, you have to cheer up or you'll be depressed forever. Literally since you're immortal."

The Vampire King sighed. "What if...no..nevermind.."

"What if what, Sweetie?" Cake asked.

Marshall stared at his friends with a sad look on his face. He looked away. Currently the three were headed through the woods and towards the fair.

"What if..he's there?"

"He probably won't be. I mean, knowing Gumball, he's probably doing some paperwork or baking a cake or something," said Fionna.

Marshall Lee got sadder. The talk of Gumball making a cake made him think of a cake that the prince had made him on his birthday. Or at least, what they claimed to be his birthday since Marshall never knew his true birthday.

"Yeah...you're probably right.." He replied.

Fionna and Cake gave him a sad look and he smiled.

"I'll be okay," he said.

~~~~

"Oh my glob you guys, he's here!"

Prince Gumball approached LSP and his friends cautiously, not knowing what to expect.

"Hey PG! These are all my friends, Miles, Dan, and Jack. And this is my girl friend Brittany."

"A pleasure to meet you all," the prince said with a forced smile.

"You're even cuter in person!" Said Brittany.

"Ha..thanks." Gumball replied.

LSP gave Brittany a mean look. "Anyway, let's just go."

The group walked through the big entrance of the fair, seeing nothing but lights and smiles; hearing nothing but rides and laughing. And smelling wonderful food smells all over.

For the first time in awhile, Prince Gumball actually smiled. "Wow," he said. He was in trance from all of these things that he'd never seen before.

In fact, he was so distracted that he had gotten separated from LSP and his friends. Once he realized this, he just chuckled and kept walking.

There was bound to be something for him to do.

~~~~

"Ugh, I feel like I'm gonna barf from all of those corn dogs," said Fionna.

"I think you might need to go home, sugar pie. It wouldn't be good for you to keep this up," Cake said worriedly.

"Lighten up, Kitty. She'll be fine," said Marshall.

"I don't know, Marsh. I think Cake might be right.."

"Aw, c'mon. You can't leave now, I just started having fun.."

"I know, Lee. And I'm sorry I can't stay longer, but you can come to our house if you want. We can watch Heat Signature 4."

"Nah. Thanks Fi, but I think I'm gonna stay."

"Okay. Bye, Marshall." Fionna climbed on Cake's back and she stretched them all the way back to their tree house.

Marshall Lee sighed. 'Great. Guess I'll go--' His thought was cut off by someone bumping into him.

"Hey, watch where you're--! Gumball?!"

The candy prince stared at Marshall with a shocked expression.

The vampire stared at him back, and they both ended up standing there motionless for about five minutes.

"Well?" Marshall broke the silence. "Are you gonna just stare, or are you gonna say something?"

Gumball cleared his throat. "Hello, Marshall. I see you're doing well," he said without looking the other in the eyes.

Marshall laughed. "That's it? And you're not even gonna look me in the eyes? Well, if you must know, I haven't been doing so well. It's kinda hard to think straight when one day you're doing great, and then suddenly you're whole world is torn apart. To pieces. Shreds. Tell me, your majesty. Do you think that seems well?"

Gumball gave him an angry look. "I don't understand why you're getting mad at me. You're acting like it's my fault! I couldn't do--!"

"But you could have! You could've told them that it was worth dying for! That it was worth doing anything to keep us together! Unless..you didn't feel that way."

"Marshall Lee..I didn't want to lose you! Do you really think that I would give you up by choice?! You were MY world! I freaking loved you! I still do, but there's nothing that I can do about the fact that I'm strictly forbidden to be with you! You have no idea how bad I want you back, but I don't want to lose you," Gumball said as he started to cry.

Marshall looked at him calmly and with no expression on his face. "Is never being with me again any different than me disappearing?"

The vampire started floating away, but stopped. "Nice seeing you, Gumball." And then he vanished into the forest.

Gumball started crying harder and fell to his knees.

'Maybe it isn't that different. I'll lose either way.' He thought.