Chapter 1

After an unusually long shift at the hospital, Dr Green was exhausted and in desperate need of a nice long nap...and possibly a shower too, considering he had been running around the hospital like a mad man, trying to take care of all of his patients. There had been a fair number of drunks and drug abusers who were caught in a house fire a few hours back, and given that they were so out of it, they ended up with some serious burns to their body.

Doc sighed, rubbing at his face tiredly as he continued his way down the path, letting his feet guide him down the same road he walked every day. It must have been early, around 6am, as there was little to no traffic about. The only sounds were the quiet chirping of the birds and an old van's engine as it drove along the road... But they weren't the only sounds; a slight rustle and a small whimper was heard from the dark alleyway that he was about to pass. He planted his feet before taking a few steps back so that he was in the center of the alley's entrance.

Then, he peered curiously down it, his brows furrowing as he squinted, hoping to catch a glimpse of what was making such a noise. At first he thought it was some form of animal, perhaps a whimpering puppy or frightened cat? But no... It couldn't be.... He thought as he noticed a small pink, slightly scuffed, shoe that was about the size of his palm. But that wasn't what had him stuck in silent shock, for what was connected to that shoe was a little socked leg, and to that- a tiny form, curled in on itself, with the child's head resting on their knees. He stared for a couple of seconds as he felt a jumble of emotions whip him in the gut. He had been found amongst rubbish when he was just a baby, his birth parents having abandoned him amongst the trash. This poor little girl couldn't possibly be going through the same situation he did-could she?

He ran a hand through his tangled, blonde hair before straightening himself up, hoping that it would clear his head slightly, and make him seem less intimidating.

He then stepped forwards towards the shaking form, crouching down in hopes that he wouldn't scare her.

"Hi cutie, my name's Dr Green, I work at the hospital just a few roads down. Are you hurt at all?" He asked, giving her a gentle smile as she looked up at him.

Her dark blue eyes widened and she shoved her body backwards against the brick wall, wishing that she could sink into it and hide. She rapidly shook her head, hoping that if she answered his questions then he would leave.

"Alright then," he said cheerily, whilst his eyes scanned her small form, checking that what she said was true. "Where are your parents buttercup? Surely they wouldn't leave you down here all by your self," he asked, feeling slightly guilty for asking so brutally but also knowing that he should get the majority of the questions out of the way, before she lost what little courage she seemed to be mustering.

She shrugged her shoulders, not knowing where they were herself. She had been told to leave for a few days because her mother was going to have some friends over. She never liked her mother's friends, they were all smelly and laughed too loudly at things that weren't funny.

She had never known her father, her mother said he got killed in a motorcycle accident a few weeks before she was born.

"You look awfully hungry, do you want to come with me to get some food? We can go to somewhere local and public if you want," The stranger with the kind eyes asked her. She hesitated before nodding her head slightly, feeling her stomach growl angrily against her arms that were wrapped around it to conserve body heat. She knew that it was slightly foolish, allowing a stranger to take her to a place she didn't know- but he was a doctor. And he had kind eyes.

The man, stretched out his hand to help her stand, which she glanced at apprehensively, before pulling herself up without accepting his offer. Because of her weakened state, her legs shook slightly and she often tripped over her own feet. The blonde haired doctor had to walk slowly so that the young girl could keep up. The man, Dr.Green, led her back down the alley, and onto the street, turning only two corners before they arrived at a small 24 hour diner.