Chapter 16

The first thing Savannah noticed was the fact that it was raining as she could hear the heavy pitter patter hittin the window behind the closed lilac curtains. She slipped out from between her minions bed sheets and padded over to the glass; the feel of the cold wood touching her small feet made her retract them quickly from the  floor. On the short walk over, she grabbed ahold of her fluffy bunny slippers and stuck her feet into them, forcing her to waddle more as she journeyed across the room.

Through the window she took note of the blurry outlines that were the neighbouring houses, and the faint squiggles that were the shapes of the rose bushes in the front garden. Lots of small but powerful droplets of water pummelled the over saturated ground. They formed large puddles that reflected the image of the grey sky above. To her, it was peaceful, the repetitive sounds of the droplets smacking against the glass filled her with a renewed sense of calm.

Goosebumps raised on her arms at the cool air that seeped through the room and she plodded back over to her bed to grab the Star Wars blanket that laid on top of her crumpled duvet. She wrapped it tightly around her small form with the ends of it dragging along the floor as she left her room, closing the door behind her. She shuffled her way down the hall so that she made it to the kitchen, glancing around in search of the blonde doctor.

Panic slipped up her spine and caused her to shiver as she continued to search for the man that she had begun to consider her dad. After searching the entire house she finally saw the blurred outline of her family standing in the rain. They all stood in a line, some crouched, others leaning on their knees and even one figure, Savannah thought it was Luke, lay on the mud covered ground. She opened the door and pulled the blanket over her head as she ran over to them, her slippered feet splashing and sliding on the mud covered grass as she attempted to protect herself from the falling droplets.

" 'Vannah you shouldn't run! You might slip over!" Yelled North however his voice was drowned out by the harsh weather.

"Why are you all out here?" She asked, confusion lacing her every word.

Instead of answering her question and attempting to shout over the rain, Owen gave a wave of his hand in dismissal as the hour of which he had set the day before had officially finished. Silas jogged forwards and picked up the small girl, carrying her back into the kitchen, where he proceeded to place her on one of the chairs. The boys followed, all with their hair plastered to their faces and leaving a trail of water behind them. Savannah was no better, even though she had been outside for only a fraction of the time they had.

"Everyone go and change, have a warm shower, and then we will answer your question," Said Mr. Blackbourne directing the end of his sentence to Savannah, before he quickly left the room, no doubt wanting a shower himself.

Gabe scooped her up and carried her back to her room, where he helped her dry off. He sauntered over to the wardrobe and pulled out her stitch onesie before placing it on her bed.

"You cold monster?" He asked as he turned around and squintehd at her shivering form. Her arms were wrapped around her body as droplets of water continued to fall from her hair and trickle down her face; she had attempted to block some of the rain from her head, by using her blanket, but the attempt was obviously futile because she currently looked like a drowned kitten.

The young girl changed into the onesie, letting Gabriel dry her hair for her before she returned to the kitchen once again; allowing Gabe to go and have a shower.

Most of the boys were talking amongst themselves apart from Nathan who sat with his hands wrapped tightly around a mug of black coffee as if it was his only source of warmth. Savannah made her way over to him and clambered onto his lap, without even bothering to ask. She curled up within his arms, feeling the slight dampness on his skin, as she slipped her tiny, freezing hands under his shirt and onto his warm stomach.