19 - Us

Hotch insisted that Reid still needed a day off the case and that he should watch over him. He merely told his friend that Reid was terribly awful and a mess, and needed someone to look out for him. He was shocked when Gideon bought his lie. Hotch was also shocked at himself for lying to his team just to spend more time with Spencer.

Reid had passed out as soon as they got home, and hadn't woken up since. The clock struck 1 o'clock. He looked so peaceful with his arms clutching the pillow beneath his head.

Hotch thought he should make some soup for lunch since it was past noon.
Spencer's deep morning voice surprised him.

"Hey, Hotch. I didn't realize you were still here! Why are you here? You should be out with the team," he chuckled and smiled slightly. Reid had a notion why he was still around.

"Decided to see how you were doing instead," Hotch replied, "Wanted to make sure you would be okay. How's your head?"

"Sleeping helped. Truth is, I haven't slept that many hours, 12 hours, in a long time.... Soup for lunch?" He placed a hand on his middle.

Aaron could tell he was hiding something. Hotch knew he wasn't feeling well. He noticed Reid's eyebrows were furrowed and was looking down.

"I'm just gonna wash up real...," Hotch heard Reid trail off as he looked up to see Spencer quickly disappearing into the bathroom. He swiftly placed down the bowls he was carrying, and walked hastily to Reid.

"Everything alright in there?" Hotch asked Reid through the closed door.

"I'm okay. Sorry, Hotch," Spencer replied through the door exhausted. Reid sighed, grateful he made it to the toilet in time. Standing back up, he washed his face quickly with his hands and opened the door.

Aaron locked eyes with Spencer's weary brown ones.

"I feel a little better now, but I just want this to be over with. I'm so tired," Spencer looked into Hotch's deep brown eyes filled with concern. He sighed.

"It's going to be okay. Give it some time, it'll pass soon."

"Thank you for being here. N-not just in here, in th-this room," Reid said with a stammer, "but thank you for being here with me. It's embarrassing for me having you looking at me in this state; this situation. It certainly could of been better."

Hotch didn't shift his eyes. They were still locked on Reid's.

Spencer paused, then spoke quickly, "I wish you could always be here. Uh, with me, is what I'm trying to say. I wish you could always be with me. I just want to see if there can be an 'us' that comes out of all this. This past year has been a complete hell for me, but something more complex and beautiful has come out of it. And I want to acknowledge that flare that won't extinguish inside of me. Every second I am with you, I feel alive and it lights up this flame! When I am not with you, I want to see you. The desire doesn't go away, it stays! And when you were in a coma, that flame inside my chest never burned out. I want to at least try for us to be something more. It frustrates me, not being able to share my emotions with you, or anyone, knowing you are my boss.... But ever since that moment in the elevator, I have wanted more of you, wanted to get to know you, and more than just my boss. And whenever you are away, I miss that. And I miss you. This past year, I've learned that ten seconds can change someone's life. For me, I got to see you in a whole new way, and I don't want this new profound feeling that's inside me to ever go away...."

"Spencer, I-"

Reid interrupted, "I just wanted to say, thank you." He looked down at the floor. A pair of feet in gray long socks appeared in his vision. He lifted his head.

Aaron stood right in front of him, "We went through this past year together. What I am saying is, yes. I want an 'us'; for there to be a 'we'. And Spencer? You never need to go through what you are going through right now alone. I am here. Don't feel embarrassed. Don't feel sorry that you bothered me. I want you to bother me," Hotch chuckled at this before continuing, "When I look at you, you are nothing but beautiful. You are intelligent. You are selfless. Everything about you. God, Spencer, you are unforgettable."  He slowly wrapped a hand around Spencer's neck, his eyes darting across Reid's face. He kissed his cheek profoundly.

Reid closed his eyes and sighed into Aaron's touch with content as he felt Aaron's lips kissing along his jawline.

Aaron whispered close to Spencer's ear, "I would kiss you on the mouth right now, without a doubt. It's just that... your breath!"

At that, Reid burst out into laughter.

Hotch smiled from ear to ear, wrinkles forming at the corner of his eyes. Spencer's laugh was the best.

Spencer finally calmed down, but still with a broad smile he said, "You're smile is absolutely amazing, Aaron. It is contagious. You really should smile more."

The corner of Aaron's lips curled into a grin, chuckling he wrapped his Spencer into an embrace.

It was because of Spencer that Aaron smiled.

---- The End ----