Chapter Twenty

~COPYRIGHT 2013~

*Reed’s POV*

I take a deep breath as I open my eyes. Sitting up, I stretch a bit. Looking around, I sigh in disappointment. My mate is not by my side. I was hoping that this whole kidnapping was just a nightmare. But unfortunately, it was not a nightmare. It’s reality.

Although I’m missing her, I feel refreshed. It’s amazing what a good night of sleep can do. I surely needed it because today is going to be hell. We’re going to need to find out which witch tribe the vamps are working with and see if we can find an ally to attack back.

A knock on my door snaps me back into reality. I really need to get up and get the day started.

“Come in,” I grumble.

In through the door walks Maia, a tray full of food in her hands. I raise my eyebrows.

“Rise and shine, Alpha,” she smiles, setting the tray of food in front of me.

“What’s this?” I ask.

“You need your energy for the day, mister,” she says. “I figured breakfast in bed would be the perfect thing to cheer you up.”

“Since when is it the pack cook’s job to cheer the Alpha up?”

“Since you became my best friend’s mate. Be appreciative or I will throw it out,” she threatens, beginning to pick up the tray.

“No! Don’t!” I exclaim. “I’m sorry; I’m just…not in the best mood. Knowing that Ella is hurt and that I can’t do anything to save her is killing me.”

“Reed, you need to cut the shitty attitude. That’s going to get you nowhere. What you need to do is eat and get your ass up. Sulking all day isn’t going to get her saved any quicker. Finding an ally witch tribe will. So, what do you say? Are you going to be a lazy ass or are you going to go save your mate?”

I begin to scoff down the food she made me, moaning at how good it is.

“Man, I should’ve hired you sooner! This is the best food I’ve ever tasted!” I compliment.

“Family recipe,” she grins proudly and takes away the rest of my food. “Now get out there and save my best friend.”

I jump out of bed and put my hand to my head, saluting her. “Yes ma’am!”

She giggles as I run out of the room. I smile. I’m so glad my mate found such a loyal friend. I know she’ll always be there for her.

Enforcers, assemble outside immediately. It is time we begin the search for an ally, I speak through my pack link.

When I get outside, my Enforcers are already waiting for me in their wolf forms. I nod my head at them in acknowledgment and shift, darting into the forest. I can hear the pounding of their four legs on the ground behind me. We’re off to the first witch territory I know of. I have a feeling this isn’t going to go very well.

I can feel your anxiety, Reed. It’s not good for an Alpha to be nervous in front of his pack. It only stresses them out more, Mitch speaks to me.

Can you blame me man? We just got ourselves into some sketchy shit, I remind him.

So? You need to put that to the side. Remember, this is for your Luna.

This is for my Luna…I think to myself. For my Luna. For Ella.

A burst of energy hits me and I pick up my pace, eager to start this war and get my gorgeous Ella back.

*Deacon’s POV*

Nervousness fills my body as the minutes turn into hours. Ella hasn’t woken up since that vampire drank from her. I know she’s alive. I mean, she’s breathing and her heart is beating. But why hasn’t she woken up yet?

When she finally starts to stir, I jump for joy.

“Ella?” I call for her.

She groans from the ground, but doesn’t get up.

“Ella, sweetie, you need to let me know if you’re alright or not,” I coax her.

“I’m okay,” she croaks out. “My neck hurts like a bitch though and my head is pounding.”

“She took a little more than she should’ve and I think she knew it too. If that guy hadn’t come in, I think she would’ve drank you dry.”

“Yeah, she has it out for me. But when Reed gets here, he’ll take care of her. He’ll kill her and that stupid “beloved” of hers.”

“Don’t get your hopes up.”

“He’s going to come eventually Deacon!”

“He’s up against a lot. They have a whole clan of vampires plus their working with witches. Do you really think your pack can get through that?”

“After everything we’ve gone through in the past few weeks, I think so. Everybody wants revenge on Janie for Parker’s death,” she says. “If she hadn’t gotten greedy, he’d still be alive. He was such a good guy. He was so sweet to me…”

She chokes on a sob, making my chest constrict. I hate when girls cried. If I could hug her right now, I would. But these stupid chains are holding me back. Plus I don’t think I’d want to hug her while we’re both naked…

“Aw, don’t cry El. Come on,” I plead.

She looks up at me with tear streaked cheeks, sniffling. “I just want to go home…”

“I know baby and I’m sorry you have to go through this.”

“I don’t know what I would do if you weren’t here.”

“You’re strong. You would make it through perfectly fine.”

“How do you know that for sure?” she questions.

“I just do,” I try to convince her. “Why don’t you try to get some sleep? You need to recover from all that blood loss.”

She nods and lies down, placing her head on the hard ground.

“Goodnight Deacon,” she murmurs.

“Goodnight sweetheart,” I coo and lay down as well, dreaming of the day I see the sun again. Maybe then I could meet my mate.

~COPYRIGHT 2013~