Ch. 8

In chemistry classEvie sat next to Rick and stared longingly at Chad

In chemistry class
Evie sat next to Rick and stared longingly at Chad.

Across the pan bench, beyond the tubing, clamps, pipettes, and steaming beakers, Chad was bathed in his own golden light. Evie couldn't stop gazing at him. Chad tried to see what his lab partner was writing so he could copy the notes down.

The chemistry teacher, Mr. Delay, scribbled a formula on the chalkboard.

Evie asked Rick, "Is there any chance he's in line for a throne. Anywhere in line?"

Rick said "I'm guessing that's Chad. The Prince Charming Jr., bloody Cinderella's son."

Evie turned and looked at Rick, then back at Chad.

Rick said "Well, Prince Charming Jr. inherited the charm, but ain't a lot of there there. Know what I mean?"

Evie rested her head on her head and said "Looks like there there to me."

Mr. Delay said "Evie! Perhaps this is just review for you. So tell me, what is the average atomic weight of silver?"

Evie stared at him blankly and said "Atomic weight? Uh...well...not very much. I mean, it's an atom, right?" She smiled and let out a laugh.

Chad laughed, too.

Mr. Delay beckoned her forth.

Rick elbowed Evie and looked down at her mirror. Evie get the point and pocketed her mirror, then strolled confidently up to the chalkboard. She said "Let's see." while she took the chalk from the teacher, stealthily removing her mirror and speaking down into it. She said "How do I find the average atomic weight of silver?" She glanced at her mirror, hidden at her side, and it revealed the whole long calculation of the answer, which she copied into the chalkboard. She said "That would be 106.905 times .5200 plus 108.905 times .4800, which, Mr. Delay, would give us 107.9 amu." She smiled.

Chad, impressed, copied her calculation into his lad notebook.

Rick looked at Evie curiously and mouthed to her "Amu?"

Evie smiled at him and Mr. Delay said "It was a mistake to underestimate-----"

Evie spun around in a circle, whipping the teacher with her long blue-black locks, and said "A villain?" She said smiling,"Don't make it again." She threw him the chalk and Rick smiled at her. She flounced back toward her seat. As she passed Chad, he slipped her a note and ogled her. When Evie sat down, she opened the note. It said MEET ME UNDER THE BLEACHERS AT 3. She looked up at Chad and nodded at him. He rested his head on his hand, and Evie did the same. They locked eyes and shared a dreamy, longing look. Rick rested his head on his hand, too, and frowned.

 Rick rested his head on his hand, too, and frowned