15. Lesson 4- It's a date

^Alex Pyfetter as Christian Maverick

It was the morning before Christmas and all throughout the house a ringing was heard...

"Fire! Fire!" Brett's scream from downstairs snapped my once resting eyes wide open. It took no time at all for my body to jump into action as I flung myself out of the covers of the now-empty bed. No smoke could be seen but my vision started to blur as a dizziness spell hit me. My hand steadied itself against the wall as I started to crawl towards the door.  By the time I reached the door and slung it open, my vision had returned enough for me to race down the hall and down the staircase.

"Fire!" I nearly fell down the last step as I belted towards the sound of his voice. My mind was in overdrive.

What was on fire! Where was the fire extinguisher?! Did we even own one?!

Prepared for the worst, I whirled around the corner into the kitchen. Oven mitt in hand, Brett was beating what I could make out as a plate.

"Brett?" The exasperation leaked out of my voice as my anger fumed.

"Angel! Look what happened!" Brett turned towards me with eyes full of excitement. Brett took a lighter out of his pocket and held it to the plate of Doritos. Suddenly, they caught fire and a big thing of fire erupted on the already charred Doritos. "How cool is that!" Amused as Brett was, I crossed my arms and glared at him. "Angel! This is pretty friggen cool! You got to admit it!"

Sure the house wasn't up in flames, but my anger was ignited.

"You about gave me a heart attack! I thought the house had caught fire!" I wanted to punch him but the fire alarm was still asking for attention. "The fire alarm is going off for Christ's sake!" Crossing the kitchen, I grabbed a hand towel and started fanning at the darned thing.

"Well, it kind of did..." Brett said turning away from me.

"What!?" I said outraged.

"The curtains just caught flame for a minute!" Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the singed curtains confirming Brett wasn't lying.

"Brett!" I was beat. "Can you go one day without causing destruction!"

Brett huffed. "Sorry MOM," I shook my head frustrated by his immaturity. "I'll try and be more careful!" That's when the beeping of the fire alarm subdued.

"I'm serious! You're gonna burn the house down and kill the both of us." Pointing at the fire I said, "Why's that still burning!? Put that out! "

"Yes, mom!" He said as he began to pour water on it. "Gosh, mom! You don't understand!" He joked as he took a chip from the once burning pan to examine it.

"So, now that I know that the fires out, can I ask where you got this idea?"

Brett pointed at the stove before speaking. "It's Christmas eve and I was preheating the oven for cookies. I guess someone made Dorito nachos and one dropped at the bottom of the oven. It started to burn, hence the fire alarm."

Michael was the only one in this house that would eat nacho Doritos. He would put Doritos in a baking sheet, cover it with cheese, melt it, and top it with more cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Personally, I would rather just go buy the flavored nacho Doritos and eat them out of the bag.

"Try it!" Brett said shoving at me an overcooked, charred, Dorito.

"It's going to be a hard pass." I slid onto the barstool with the intent on making sure he didn't make any more fires. With my watchful eyes over him, he managed to put in the Christmas cookies without causing another fire.