✗ two ✗

SHAY

Ten Hours Prior ~ 21 April

"Whose bright idea was it to have a party on a Thursday?" Melissa complains, leaning up against one of the counters in Harry's kitchen.

Unlike her, I find that complaining doesn't get us anywhere in life so I'm focused on getting everything in order. Although I am sharing her question of the party being held on a Thursday, because in my eyes it doesn't make any sense. Sure these people mean business, but I also think that some of them enjoy getting hammered once and a while, so why not do that on a Friday night?

How about instead of complaining about every little thing, you get off your ass and go do some actual work?

"Melissa, how about you go review the guest list in the other room?" I ask, pulling the finalized list out of my bag, really all that it required was to be given back to me, but she didn't know that, "And make sure that all the staff know about the preparation meeting at five? Okay?" I say with a friendly smile. I need her on my side today, not in a snippy mood.

"Sure thing." She says, snatching the list out of my hands and scurrying out of the kitchen. I release a heavy breath of air that I have been holding all-day and turn to our caterers. "Wait!" I inhale sharply when she appears beside me again with a confused look on her face.

"Yes Melissa?" Hopefully she isn't questioning my superiority or whether the list I gave her is just something for her to do so she can get off my back.

"Do you have a pen?" I reach into my bag and toss her a pen without looking in her direction. "Thanks girl!" She coos before finally leaving the kitchen. I watch her through the glass that suffices as a wall to the right of the kitchen and wait until she's absolutely out of sight before exhaling again.

"Sorry about her, she's a fiery thing." I apologize to the people around me. "Shall we continue on with the menu?" They all nod their heads, staying silent. Their first language is French and I like to dabble in the language, but I'm not fluent. It's a good thing they can understand me if I speak slowly. "I was thinking that the first course comes out around six-fifteen. We don't want to bombard the guests once they get here, of course our operations will be moved to the basement prior to the start of the party-"

When I look up from my list of things to discuss with the caterers, I see them all staring back at me with wide eyes.

"Uh, Shay?" I spin around to see Harry, standing in his usual work attire with his phone pressing against his shoulder. Harry hardly deals first hand with the caterers, though they're the same people he hires for every party. I guess they never get used to seeing his face.

"Yes Mr. Styles?"

"Can I speak with you for a moment?" His eyes widen at the end of his question, making me believe this is more serious after first glance. I nod to him and follow his tall figure out of the kitchen and onto the back patio. He smiles inside at the people invading his home before sliding the glass door shut for some privacy and turning to me. "Do you know anything about the Francis appointment?" He asks right away, his tone sort of accusing. Francis appointment?