✗ fifty-five ✗

HARRY

13 September

Home at last.

I've never been so happy to wheel up outside of my house than I have been in this very moment. Just knowing that my beautiful girlfriend is waiting on the other side of this door, probably curled up tiredly on the sofa watching the cooking channel has a bright smile attached to my lips. I begged her not to wait up for me, but as per usual Shay fought me on it.

She's a stubborn girl, but I love that about her.

I turn the doorknob and push the door open, striding into the house with my suitcase and briefcase in hand. I smile and inhale the sweet smell of spaghetti pasta streaming from the kitchen.

They probably figured I'd be hungry after flying so long, which I am. But I'm hungrier to see my girl than I am to eat a delicious home cooked meal.

I quietly sneak into my own house and tiptoe into the kitchen, hoping to find my girl at the stove but only find my best mate in her place.

"Oh, it's just you." I sigh, dropping my briefcase onto the counter and rolling my suitcase to rest by the table. Louis' turns towards me at the stove and sends me a half smile; not quite the welcome I thought I would receive but I'd take it.

"Hey." He says slowly, not near as excitedly as I thought he'd be.

I can tell that there might be something wrong just by his look, but I chose to ignore it at this point in time. All I can think about is seeing my girl. I can deal with his possible girl problems later.

"Where's Shay?"

"Um, upstairs, but I think you should just wait a minute before you go up there." Louis says, shutting the simmering sauce and cooked pasta off before turning to speak with me.

Immediate worry coats my features at the realization that his sad mood has something to do with Shay.

"What's happened? Is Shay alright?" My mind immediately goes to worst case scenario.

Has Shay been injured? Did she fall down the stairs whilst I was gone? Has something happened to the baby? Is the baby-

"Yeah, yes, she's fine, the baby is fine, but there's something I should warn you of first." He says, leaning back against the counter. I fight the urge to run upstairs to Shay rather than listen to what Louis has to say and take a deep breath. "Shay got a call today from a detective on her case against that attacker guy."

"Why? I thought we were done with that piece of shit." I seethe, clenching my jaw and fists at my sides.

"Apparently there's a trial set in a couple of weeks for the fourth of October."

"Fuck." I curse, running my hand through my newly cut hair.

I thought it'd be a nice surprise for Shay, cutting my hair after the fiasco last week at the doctor's appointment. I like it more than I thought I would meaning I hope Shay does. But at this point in time, I don't think a lousy haircut will make her feel better.

"How did she take it?"

"She cried for a while before calming down a bit. She hasn't said more than two words to me since, and that was like four hours ago. Shay finally admitted she was hungry like thirty minutes ago, thought the three of us could eat together before I head home."

"Yeah, sounds good." I say completely disregarding the fact that Louis' going home tonight. "Where's Shay now?"

"In the lounge."