✗ fifty-nine ✗

SHAY

22 November

Somehow God was looking out for me tonight, and I couldn't be more thankful.

After dinner, Lux, Sid, and I cuddled up on the couch and watched Tangled, per Lux's request. Sid was quiet after dinner, slowly drifting off to sleep in my arms as I rubbed his back and kissed the top of his head. Apparently, infants were easier to care for than I had originally thought; aside from the occasional crying and the disgusting nappy changes.

Once the clock struck eight-thirty, Lux was already passed out on the sofa beside me. No tantrum reported.

"Come on babe." I whispered to the sleeping infant in my arms as I stood from the sofa and walked slowly up the stairs towards the guest room. Lux's old crib had been set up in the room for Sid to borrow. "Let's get you changed out of these clothes."

I placed the baby onto the queen-sized bed and grabbed the clothes that had been laid out for him on the dresser. Carefully I stripped the baby of his day clothes, causing him to stir when the cool air hit his body, but thankfully he didn't wake more than that. I dressed him in the short sleeve blue and white onesie and placed his sleeping body into the crib, before sneaking out of the room and closing the door.

One child down, one more to go.

When I got back downstairs Lux was still passed out on the sofa, the Tangled home screen flashing in the background. She looked utterly cute asleep and I really didn't want to move her, but I knew her mum wouldn't like it that way, so I tried my best.

"Lux, time for bed." I gently said, shaking her arm softly. She moaned lightly before opening her eyes a bit. "Come now, we've got to brush our teeth and change in your pajamas and then you can go back to sleep."

She shakes her head no and turns to face the back of the couch, clutching the blanket around her. I sigh lightly and scoop her up in my arms. Her arms circle around my neck as her legs tangle around my waist, just above my baby bump. I carry her upstairs and into the toilet, setting her on the counter with ease. She groans at the bright light that I've flicked on and buries her head into her hands.

"My head hurts." She whines, rubbing her eyes. I frown at her and take her face into my hands. She does appear a bit warm, but I pray it's from lying underneath a wool blanket with long sleeves on.

"Awe, baby, where does your head hurt?" I question. Lux drops her hands and rubs her forehead with her little palm, not exactly narrowing down the location. "Okay, let's just get those teeth brushed and then you can go back to sleep. That'll help." She merely nods as I help her off the counter and aid in the brushing of her teeth and hair.

After we've finished I dress her in a short sleeve shorts and tee combo with glitter sparkles all over, before tucking her into bed.

"If you need anything bug, just come find me. I'll be downstairs. Goodnight." I say, kissing her warm forehead and tugging the sheets up to her chest. She mumbles a goodnight before turning on her side and cozying up.

I carefully and quietly make my way back downstairs, stopping in the kitchen to tidy up the mess that was made over dinner. All in all tonight didn't go too terribly, making me wonder if I can actually do this motherhood thing. Lux and Sid are well-behaved children though, what if mine isn't?

About an hour into the children's slumbers I finally figure out why having children is so tough. One minute I'm curled up on the couch with a good book, rubbing my swollen belly and feeling her kick against my hand, and the next there's this wail of cries coming from the second floor. At first I think it's Sid, having woken up with a dirty nappy or something, until I distinguish that it isn't Sid at all.