27

upon arriving at a well-looked after apartment (as he could tell from the outside), jungkook sighed in defeat. he wasn't convinced that her act was genuine, from what their past experiences were like.
but he wasn't willing to become selfish in the name of revenge.

once he walked up the screeching stairs; a tall, slender girl had her entire face buried in her hands, and jungkook could hear the expanding sound of sobs erupting from her state.
he hurried towards her and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"h-hey." he tried. jungkook looked towards the door she was stood in front of.

"it's number 32."

and surely enough, that's what the silver plates on the door had told him.

the girl was sniffing now. jungkook was afraid she could collapse into his arms at any given moment and break out, wailing.
but she didn't, and beamed at him when she had raised her head.

"hi, i'm sorry." she laughed lightly, covering her mouth.

"it's okay. is this yoora's apartment?"

the girl's expression became vacant.

"yeah. you must be jungkook."

he nodded.

"they were right about you being extremely handsome."

not again.

"what's your name?" he replied in a slight fluster.

"byeol. i'm yoora's best friend."

he nodded once more,
realising what he had came to do. jungkook decided to knock on the door. they heard rustling and both flinched, startled.

"maybe if she knows it's you, she might come out." byeol whispered, leaning towards the door a bit more and tucking her dyed blond hair behind her ears.

jungkook had no choice but to try.

"it's jungkook! open up!" he shouted and knocked simultaneously–desperately.

she had heard, but made no action upon it.
someone else had heard
on his way back from the soojeong-less bakery.

"what are you guys doing?" a concerned voice called, getting closer and ultimately footsteps were heard, clashing on the stairs.
jungkook and byeol turned around and felt consoled to see such a smiling face in a time of distress.

"yoora won't come out." byeol said, in a different tone of voice, inviting.

oh, they're definitely best friends.

"i'm byeol." she stuck out a seemingly friendly hand.

"hoseok." he shook it with a tender grin.

jungkook bashed on the door again, earning a surprising wail from the other side, echoing even in the heavy lightness of the outside atmosphere.

"i know you're scared, yoora." he began, making it up in his mind that he should take a different approach to get somewhere.

"there are people who are behind you and who are here for you.
please come out."

click.

an unrecognisable figure stood before them, her true self. her hair was a mess; her clothes were a mess, she wasn't the person they had known–but she was the person she always was.

she was now a person who does not make shallow friendships, as that false facade actually hurts those around her.
it was a challenge at first, but it took her only a while to adjust.

hoseok smiled to himself upon seeing the new yoora, knowing how much of a better person she would become.