Chapter 8 || Shutoku High

Shutoku High

"You seem to have had a wonderful day," chirped Yukiji, snapping her phone shut as Midorima emerged outside. He gave no marked reply other than an irritable 'tch'. "What happened? You got in, didn't you?" said Yukiji, trying to cover a small hint of anxiety in her voice.

Midorima nodded. "They accepted me into the first string, nanodayo," he said, shortly.

"Oh. Then why do you look like this?"

"What does 'this' even mean-"

"You know what!"

Midorima sighed. "I'm not even sure I'll get along with the team, nanodayo."

"Oh, wow," muttered Yukiji, "I assumed that I would be the one having a bad day. I guess I was wrong."

"Aries was sixth. Cancer was fourth, nanodayo. How could this happen?" said Midorima, pushing up his glasses.

"Maybe fate subtracted a couple of points because of your grouchy attitude," mused Yukiji.

"That's not helping, nanodayo."

"Whatever."

"Where are we going, by the way, nanodayo?"

"You could go home, you know... You don't have to tag along. I'm going to celebrate getting selected."

"Getting into the first string isn't the real challenge here, nanodayo. You need to--"

"Just go home, Shintaro."

"I... Don't have much to do. I think I'll come with you, nanodayo."

"Okay, then."

After much deliberation, Yukiji and Midorima decided on a place to eat. Yukiji was retrieving her bicycle when a voice cut through the air.

"Yo, green-head-san, have you forgotten me already?"

Yukiji tried to turn to look at him when Midorima grabbed her shoulder. "Don't encourage him, nanodayo," he hissed.

"Why are you even avoiding him?" questioned Yukiji.

"He's... Weird."

Yukiji began to laugh. "Hey, hey... Can you- of all people- really say that?"

"You don't understand!"

"Enlighten me then."

"He apparently lost to me long ago, nanodayo. He actually expects me to remember him. What am I supposed to do?"

"You're running from him for that? Seems stupid..."

"He says... I make him laugh, nanodayo," said Midorima, adjusting his glasses delicately looking extremely hurt.

Yukiji chuckled. "You are quite amusing."

Midorima looked over her shoulder and paled. "He's coming this way, nanodayo."

"Who cares," said Yukiji. "Let me see."

"Green-head-san, you can't give me the slip," he moaned comically, "I--" The boy dropped the sentence halfway when he saw Yukiji's face. His jaw dropped. "Oops--"

"Kazunari, you damned brat!" yelled Yukiji suddenly.

Midorima blinked. "You know him?"

Yukiji ignored him as she continued to yell at Takao. "What the hell do you think of yourself. Did you even bother-- but wait, come here this instant."

"Umm... Sorry. I should go--" mumbled Takao.

"You--"

"Forgive me, Yukiji," interrupted Takao suddenly, "I did want to call regularly and all. But you know... School... And stuff. And you became busy too! I heard you won the nationals. Congratulations!"