Chapter 15 || Kaijo High

Kaijo High

"You look just like that stupid frog," said Takao.

"It's my lucky item," said Midorima, hastily chewing back a 'nanodayo'. Of late, he had had to change his manner of speaking, because every time he said 'nanodayo', Takao would instantly double up laughing. Even though it was tough, Midorima was willing to take on the challenge just to shut him up.

"Eh... But there's a really strong resemblance here," said Takao, pretending to squint at it.

"Are we going or not?" interrupted Yukiji, rubbing her temple.

Takao nodded. "Fine. Let's go."

"Where are you going?" said Yukiji, "The bus stop is in the opposite direction."

"I brought my trusty steed along," said Takao happily.

"Your what?"

The 'trusty steed' turned out to be a rear car. Yukiji and Midorima exchanged glances. "There is no way I'm getting on that," said Yukiji firmly.

"Why not?" said Takao.

"It looks ridiculous! I'm taking the bus. You two try not to be too late," said Yukiji.

Midorima and Takao were left next to the rear car, awkwardly staring at each other. "You coming or not?" said Takao finally.

"No."

"Oh, come on! I'll pedal."

Midorima was still inclined to take the bus, but then he imagined reclining in back, while Takao furiously pedaled through the busy roads. "I'll come, nanodayo."

Takao sat in the front, and the same scenario occurred to him. "Na, you've got to take over when we're half-way there, okay?"

"We'll think about that later, nanodayo."

Takao began to pedal. After a couple of minutes, he heard a small popping sound. He turned to see Midorima calmly sitting in the backseat and sipping a can of soda.

"Soda? You have soda!"

"Yes, nanodayo."

"Give me some!" said Takao, who was willing to let the 'nanodayo' slip for the minute.

"You can't drink and drive."

"It's soda! It's freaking soda!"

"I meant that you can't steer without both your hands, nanodayo. It isn't safe. Plus, speed up, you're blocking the road."

"Curse you, toad!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later:

"Uh, coach, excuse me?" said Akira, fidgeting.

The Kaijo coach turned towards her, but he didn't say anything. Akira could clearly sense that he was irritated. She didn't want to have this conversation any more than he did. Seirin had just wounded Kaijo's pride, and what she was going to say would probably rub it in their face. Still, Akira had offered to do this task, and she had to see it through.

"Remember the hoop we broke when the game started?" said Akira nervously.

The Kaijo coach nodded slowly.

"I was wondering if we could have a receipt so that we can settle the account later," said Akira.

The coach paused for a second, as though contemplating how he could convey his thoughts in sign language without opening he mouth. Eventually, he gave up and said. "That won't be necessary."