Chapter 10 || Rakuzan High

Rakuzan High

Sora found that practice had just ended for the boys. She found a few people waiting for their friends near the door and stood a few steps away. The players were straggling towards the benches, looking as though they were worn out. The scene reminded Sora of Teiko, and she almost began to look for multi-coloured hair in the crowd before she remembered. Pretty soon, she spotted Akashi's red hair in the crowd and it suddenly made a 180, and headed in her direction.

"It isn't like you to get here so soon after practice. Is something wrong?" said Akashi.

"This is so like Teiko... Even the jerseys—"

"Don't deflect, Sora."

It was then that Sora noticed that a more than a few heads turned in their direction. Some even not-so-subtly pointed at Akashi, and whispered something. Sora glared at Akashi. "Akashi Seijuro! What did you do? For God's sake, this is your first week."

"I didn't do anything," said Akashi.

"Then why is half the club looking at you?"

"I told you, I didn't do anything!" said Akashi, irritated, "How would I know what those peasants think?"

"Seijuro! Did you actually call someone a peasant!"

"No."

"Good... Wait, did you say something else?" demanded Sora.

"Are you alright, kouhai?" interrupted someone.

It was one of the Uncrowned kings, Mibuchi Reo. Sora shook her head. "There's nothing wrong, senpai," she said, and then added, "How was practice today?"

"Oh, it went quite well."

"That's good to hear," said Sora, glancing at Akashi. So he hadn't caused trouble after all.

"I didn't expect to see you here, kouhai. Do you know someone?"

Sora nodded. "Akashi Seijuro," she said, gesturing at the person in question, "Senpai, he is a first year. Could you keep an eye on him for me? Just until he settles in?"

Akashi looked at her incredulously, and Reo burst out laughing. "He is the last person you should be worried about," said Reo.

"Are you two acquainted then?" said Sora, relieved.

"No," said Akashi and Reo together.

"I see," said Sora, "Then—"

"Nae, you... You're Akashi Seijuro, aren't you, kid? I need to hand you the schedule for next week," said an upper classman, waving a writing pad at him from a distance.

Akashi bristled. "Excuse me... I'll be back in a bit," he said, heading towards him.

Sora sighed. "He called Seijuro a kid. I wonder if I should go rescue him..."

"Probably, kouhai," said Reo, "I was a bit worried for you at first."

"Eh? Why?"

"I thought I saw you arguing with him. He doesn't seem like the type to take any nonsense, you know."

"He is a bit prickly at first," admitted Sora.

"That's an understatement, but he is one hell of a player..."

"That's true. But senpai, according to what I've heard, you aren't that bad yourself," said Sora, with a smile.

Reo laughed. "You've heard, eh? I suppose you've seen the other two too?"