Chapter 20 || Kaijo High

Kaijo High

"And then... And then we lost," said Kise, leaning back with a dramatic sigh.

"I see," said Itsuki, who was flicking through a comic book.

"Mou! You could at least pretend to empathize with me!"

"I did for the first week! But you're still moping around, and it's really annoying. Besides, I don't see what the problem is."

"How can you not—"

"It was just a practice match! And unlike you guys, they really seemed to be pushing their limits."

"I wanted to show off in front of Kurokocchi," said Kise with a pout.

"My, my... you really are obsessed with your schoolmates. Besides, nii-chan will be mad if he hears that you are still talking about it."

"But he won't, will he?" said Kise brightly.

"Not from me."

"It really didn't have to end that way though," repeated Kise.

"Cheer up. I've finished editing a new picture for your page."

"Really! You're awesome, Itsukicchi."

Kise was momentarily distracted by the prospect, but he became moody again. "I wish I could be the best at something. Like you are at photography."

"Eh... I think I see the problem here."

"What?"

"You need to get this match out of your system. Play a nice, taxing game and start feeling good about yourself again."

"You think so?"

"I know. Call your friend and ask him to meet you somewhere today evening if you can."

"Kurokocchi?"

"Yeah."

Kise whipped out his phone and sent the text. He got a reply from Kuroko soon. Kise's face fell when he read it.

"What's the matter?" said Itsuki.

"Kurokocchi couldn't come. He has practice. He says he probably can't cope if he plays after that."

"So that's off then," said Itsuki, disappointed, "I wanted to talk to your friend. I didn't really meet him last time. Shame..."

"On the bright side, we have a substitute," said Kise, his eyes gleaming again.

"Eh?"

"It's another person. This is going to be interesting... would you still come if Kurokocchi isn't?"

"I suppose I've got nothing better to do."

The bell rang, sending students scurrying back to their classes. Kise was even more hyper than usual. Itsuki accompanied him to practice, just to observe him.

"You're early," remarked Kasamatsu, who was tying his shoe-laces with one leg on the bench, "Earlier than usual. Are you up to something?"

"Mou, senpai! How could you say something like that?"

"Shut up, already!" said Kasamatsu, rolling his eyes.

"Nii-san, you're even earlier than him," pointed out Itsuki, as Kise headed over to the changing room.

"Of course. As captain, I have to be the first one in."

"So... You're saying that the practice match had no effect on you whatsoever?"