Chapter 9 || Rakuzan High

Rakuzan High

Sora glanced at the curly haired girl who was shooting hoops next to her. The girl was completely absorbed with what she was doing and paid no heed to her. She was one among the two other first years chosen for the first string bench besides Sora, and she wanted to be on good terms with her. Sora was trying to catch her attention and was failing miserably.

"Kouhai," said a voice sharply, interrupting Sora's endeavors. Sora swallowed. It was the vice-captain.

"Let's practice," she said, beckoning her over. Sora complied, wondering what she had in mind. What position was Leo in today? Yukiji-san! I miss you...

"I'm Hisa Ayumi," said the vice-captain, "Let's have a match. One on one. I want to see what you are capable of."

"Okay, Ayumi-senpai."

"If truth be told, I'm curious," said Ayumi, "Your stats are above average, but they don't look like ones I'd expect from the captain of Teiko. Show me what you can do, kouhai."

Sora and Ayumi took a half court to themselves. Sora offered to play defense and Ayumi accepted. Ayumi came in with a very fast dribble. Sora let her pass, but followed her. Sora waited until Ayumi decided to switch to a shooting position to take the ball. She scored quite quickly, as she was near the hoop.

"I thought you were about to let me pass, since you were so lethargic in the beginning," said Ayumi, knitting her brows together, "And yet you managed to score—"

"Uh... Senpai, I'm more of a strategist," said Sora sheepishly. Ayumi raised her eyebrows.

"Senpai?" said a voice carefully.

"Yes?" said Ayumi, turning to the one who had called her.

"Umm... The other courts are too crowded, so if you don't mind..."

Ayumi nodded at the girl. "Let's go," said Ayumi, addressing Sora, "It looks like our match will have to wait."

"Okay..."

Sora joined a few others who were shooting, slightly relieved. However, her relief was short-lived as Ayumi joined her. Sora kept her eyes fixed on the hoop. The sound of balls hitting the hoop did little to lessen the awkward silence between the two.

"It looks like you two are getting along well."

"Honami," said Ayumi, reproachfully.

"How are you finding your first week here, kouhai?" said Honami.

Sora smiled. "Quite good, senpai. Although, I don't know anyone here, so it's a bit... different."

"You'll get used to it," assured Honami, "Well, in the time being, I guess Ayumi could monitor you."

Both Sora and Ayumi looked at her in horror. "Why should I?" demanded Ayumi.

"I would take it up myself, but I don't have it in myself to be strict to a kawaii kouhai. Especially since I'm seeing her after two years. She's a potential starter, Ayumi-chan. She will do well if she's under your care."

"Like hell," muttered Ayumi, "Getting into the line-up isn't a piece of cake, you know."

"Don't worry. Besides, you played with her a short while ago. What do you think?"

"Senpais..." said Sora, mortified. Have they forgotten that I'm standing right here...

"She's not horrible," said Ayumi, "We played only for a couple of minutes."

"Will you do it then?"

"Fine. Go to hell."

"That's settled then. I've got to run, kouhai. I wish I could play against you and see how far you've come, but I've got a couple of things to finish. This place is a bit different from Teiko alright..."

Sora watch ruefully as Honami hurried away. Now to face the inevitable... "I hope... we get along together," said Sora, stammering a bit in haste.

Ayumi snorted. "Just don't irritate me to hell, and we'll get along quite well."

"Okay..."

"We'll need to devise some sort of schedule, kouhai. I have enough on my plate already without your precious senpai adding to it. How about every Friday? I'm usually free at that time," said Ayumi. Akashi's voice floated through Sora's mind.

'I'll be training you this year too, remember?'

Sora sighed. This was going to be extremely troublesome. "Senpai... Could you pick some other day? Any day is fine, really. Except Friday. Sorry!" she said, trying to keep the desperation out of her voice.

Ayumi looked at her, puzzled. "I'm really sorry, kouhai, but that's going to be tough. At least for a couple of months. I'm in a couple of other clubs too and I'm finding it had to balance. Forgive me."

"Okay then," said Sora feebly, turning back to the hoop. She envisioned all the possible scenarios that would occur when she broke the news to Akashi. There was a wide variety of them ranging from varying degrees of nonchalance on both sides to 'I'm-going-to-kill-you-for-this'. It ultimately hinged on Akashi's mood when she told him, and Sora wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

"You're quiet," said Ayumi, breaking the silence.

"Is it?"

"You aren't much of a talker are you..."

"I don't know, senpai. Perhaps you could begin the conversation?"

Ayumi paused. "Since you were at Teiko last year, you must know the generation of miracles."

Sora internally screamed when she heard this. The phrases 'Teiko basketball club' and 'Generation of miracles' would probably follow her to her grave. "Yes. I do know them."

"What are they like?"

"They're just like the rest of us. Okay, not quite... but you get the picture."

"One of them is here, right?" said Ayumi.

"Yes. Akashi Seijuro. He is in my class."

Ayumi had a thoughtful expression on her face. She shot the ball, and it scratched the hoop before falling to the ground. "I wonder how it would be... To play against him."

"Senpai, I'm not sure if you would want that," said Sora, with a rueful smile.

"We'll see about that. We've been a magnet for the weird ones anyway. Have you heard about them?"

"You mean the uncrowned kings?" said Sora. Satsuki, true to her word, had given her more than enough info on them. She had even run into one of them, as she later came to realize.

Ayumi gave her an approving nod. "Good to know I don't have to go into the backstory. Have you seen them play?"

"Not yet."

"What can I say? This year is going to be really entertaining however you look at it," said Ayumi lightly. "That's why we cannot be the side-show," she continued with sudden venom, "Look kid, Honami seems to trust you, but the truth is we can't afford to mess around right now. You've got to play your part, understand? It isn't fun to live under long shadows."

"I know what you mean," replied Sora, quietly. Even at Teiko, her team had been completely eclipsed by the abilities of the boys' team. The girls had won the nationals, but it wasn't a big deal compared to what the other team had done. Sora had absolutely nothing against the guys, but that still didn't lessen the hurt she felt. So, Sora could completely relate to Ayumi's feelings. The vice-captain probably felt the same way about the Uncrowned Kings.

"This year, we're going to pull ahead too," said Ayumi, glaring at the hoop.

"I'm glad you feel that way, senpai."

The rest of the practice went on in relative peace, and finally they were released. "Great, now I have to face Seijuro. Yukiji-san, what is Leo's position today! Why aren't you here with me..." muttered Sora.