Chapter 12 || Kaijo High

Kaijo High

A short pause followed Akira's statement. "Wrong number," said Kise, finally.

"Baka! It's almost midnight. Do you think I have the energy to screw with you?"

"I've been calling and texting you multiple times so far, Akiracchi. You haven't answered. Give me one good reason not to hang up."

"I have my reasons," said Akira stiffly.

"Just because Aominecchi dumped you, you can't ignore the rest of us."

"Aomine did not 'dump' me," hissed Akira.

"Then?"

"It's none of your business."

"Okay," said Kise with a shrug, "Goodnight."

"Wait! Don't hang up!"

"What do you want?" said Kise, tired, "I had multiple shoots today, Akiracchi. I'm tired as hell, so be quick."

Akira paused, trying to put her question into words. "Ryou-kun, can you tell me a bit about yourself?" Akira heard Kise gasp and braced herself.

"Akiracchi!" squeaked Kise, "Have you become one of my fans?" Akira could envision Kise almost glowing on the other end. She could almost swear that streaks of light were leaking out from the phone's receiver.

"Uh, no..." admitted Akira, "It's recon..."

"Oh," said Kise, sounding deflated.

"Sorry," muttered Akira.

"What do you want to know?" said Kise, sulking.

"Anything is fine really..."

"You just want to know my basketball stats."

Akira rubbed her forehead and glanced at the clock. "Well, I guess I have time. Just say whatever."

"Hello, I am Kise Ryouta," began Kise, with a deep breath.

"This isn't an interview, baka," interrupted Akira, "I'm not recording or anything."

"Are you going to let me speak or not?"

"Fine."

"I'm Kise Ryouta. I'm currently attending Kaijo High. I was part of the 'Generation of Miracles' of the Teiko basketball club. The Teiko basketball club was huge—"

Akira simply zoned out for a couple of minutes as Kise spoke. When she reminded herself to focus and tuned in to his speech again, she found that he was still harping on the same string. "—And so, after middle school, we all split up, each heading to different schools. It was really sad—Oro, Akiracchi, are you still listening?"

"Yeah," said Akira.

"Wow," said Kise, impressed, "Okay, I was just screwing with you for the first few minutes. You actually were listening!"

"Umm..." said Akira, but then she decided against telling him that she hadn't heard most of what he had said.

"As a reward, I will now be more honest and straightforward while answering you questions. Shoot."

"Just tell me something about you that I don't know," said Akira, poising her pen over paper.

"Hmm... I hate fish."

"I already know that!" said Akira, thinking of a few incidents that occurred during middle school.

"Oh. My bad. Okay... I received forty two letters from fangirls today."