Chapter 19 || Seirin High

Seirin High

The letters slowly began to swim in front of Akira's eyes. "No! You can fight this," she said, pinching herself. The team was slowly recovering from the Kaijo match, and Akira didn't have to look side-ways to know that Kuroko and Kagami were having a rough time too. The effects of staying up for recon were slowly beginning to manifest themselves.

Akira's eye-lids drooped, and the board in front assumed a pleasant, hazy colour but something stirred itself in front of her vision. It was a slightly round peach coloured thing, with a slight sheen on it.

"Basketball... Can't be."

Akira pulled herself from her stupor to find the teacher right in front of her desk. She gulped.

"Are you ill, Tamotsu-san?" he said pointedly.

"No—I mean I—I don't think—" fumbled Akira.

"I would be a great help to me if you would refrain from distracting me again."

Akira was about to reply in the affirmative when a snuffling noise cut through the awkward silence. Akira almost face-palmed when she saw that the source of the sound was none other than Kagami. He was sleeping with his head resting on his hands. Sensei frowned and walked up to his desk.

"Kagami-san?"

Kagami mumbled something that sounded vaguely like 'squeak-squeak-squeak'.

"Kagami-kun!"

Kagami muttered a rapid sequence of words and ended it by abruptly grabbing the teacher's head and yelling 'Kise!'. The teacher almost ground his teeth in frustration.

"Please don't sleep in my class again," he said curtly, before heading to the front again.

Akira thanked the Gods that he had forgotten about her, and made a mental note to inform Riko about this. Akira found Riko during the break, and narrated the day's events. Riko nodded.

"A few of the guys in my class were having the same issues. We need to work on the stamina of the team."

"Yes!"

"But before that, kouhai, there is something you need to do for me."

"What is it, senpai?"

"I've got a list of the matches for the Inter-high tournament. Here. That's the first team we'll be facing."

"Shinkyo academy?"

"Yup."

"And?"

"I don't have any real piece of data on them. Can you do a bit of recon? I need results as fast as possible."

"Okay," said Akira, nodding energetically.

"I should really be helping," said Riko apologetically, "But, I have a... task to supervise."

"No problem, senpai."

Akira took out her phone and made a call to Satsuki. Satsuki picked up after a couple of rings. "Hello! Akira-san?"

"Suki-san. How are you?"

"Nae, you've received it too, huh?"

"You mean the match list? Yeah."

"So... Shinkyo High."

"Actually... I was wondering if you had anything on them."

"No..."

"Could you help, Satsuki-san?"

"I'm really sorry, Akira-san... I'm in a bit of a bind right now."