Chapter 22 || Rakuzan High

Chapter 22

Rakuzan High

"Just ten minutes?" pleaded Sora.

"Ten minutes? In the middle of the strat meet. For a phone call?"

"Please!"

"Go."

"Senpai--"

"Don't waste time arguing. Just go and come back soon," said Ayumi, turning her attention back to the attendance list.

Sora acknowledged the fact that this was the closest she would get to a cordial reply. She flopped down on a bench a short distance away from the locker room door, and called Yukiji.

"Hello?"

"Yukiji-san, it's me. Sora."

"Oh. Hullo. How did your match go?"

"Please cut to the chase," said Sora, with an anxious glance towards the locker room door.

"Are you busy?"

"Yukiji-san!"

"What? Okay, okay... It's just that... I'm worried for our team."

Sora frowned. "What happened?"

"It's just that--Shintaro--After the generation of miracles, I think he'll have trouble playing in any other team."

Sora blinked. "That was it?"

"What did you mean by 'that was it?'!"

"Sorry I guess... I didn't mean to--But more importantly, have a little faith, you know! It takes time to get used to a new team."

"I suppose... But somehow I feel responsible."

"Why exactly?"

"Because he's mostly getting into minor scuffles with Kazunari."

"Who again?"

"Oh, yeah! I forgot to tell you. He's a cousin of sorts."

"Either way, you can't do anything. It's something Midorima-kun must sort out on his own."

"If you say so... Is Akashi-kun doing well, by the way? Has he adjusted to the team?"

"He finds it just like Teiko," said Sora, confidently. It was true in a sense.

"Wow... That's great."

"Hmm. Anyway Yukiji-san, we were all a bunch of weirdos anyway. That's what brought us together. I'm sure you guys will find someone with the same wavelength soon."

"I hope so," said Yukiji, in a hesitant tone.

"I'm really sorry, but I have to go," said Sora with another look at the locker room door.

"Okay, see you."

"Make it quick, kouhai. I'm starving!" groaned Honami.

"Senpai, you guys still haven't picked a place to eat," said Sora with a grin.

"That's nonsense," said Honami waving her hand, "We've written all the chits. We just have to pick one."

"Damn the chits. Let's go to the one at the corner of the street," said Ayumi.

"Why do you even want to go there?"

"Because it's nearby and probably every restaurant will close before you guys pick one!"

Sora slipped away from the discussion to find Akashi staring at his phone.