Sixteen

Monroe's POV:

"Thanks for coming out with me." Roxanne smiled as we were seated at a table. "No problem." I smiled and looked at the menu. I could hear her hum softly as we looked. "Welcome, what can I get you guys to drink?" The waiter asked us. "Can I have a Dr. Pepper?" I said and he nodded, smiling. "And you?" He looked at Roxy. "Diet Coke." She smiled back. He nodded before walking away. "Did you have a good day at school yesterday?" She asked me. I nodded. "We had Oceanography Club last night." "What's that?" She asked me. "It's basically a group where we do a bunch of stuff about the ocean." I smiled. "It's so much fun." She smiled and nodded. "That's good." I nodded and smiled too.

I sat down after the guy gave me my ice cream cone and started licking it. "You're just like mom." Roxy smiled and I blushed. "How?" "She used to love peanut butter ice cream." I laughed softly. "It's the best." I smiled. "What was mom like?" I looked at her. Roxy smiled a little. "She was a kind soul. Very sweet, she loved to listen to music and paint. She started my love of art, that's why I became a tattoo artist." She said and I nodded. "What happened to her?" I asked. Roxy bit her lip. "She passed from cancer a few years ago." I frowned. "I wish I was able to meet her. She seemed like a wonderful person." I looked at her. Roxy smiled and nodded. "She was."

I walked back into my room, drying my hair into a towel. I put on a tank top and a pair of shorts before putting my hair into a messy top knot. I turned off my lights and laid down in my bed before falling asleep.
•••

"Stop Roxy!" I giggled, running away from her. "Here comes the tickle monster." She smiled, chasing me. My squeals were heard throughout the house as I ran over to my mom and hid behind her. Her laugh chimed through the room, making me smile. I looked up at her and sat her shiny blonde hair went past her shoulders. She was making dinner for Roxy and I. "Girls, go wash up." She smiled before I ran to the bathroom. I stood up on my step stool and washed my hands when I heard a loud boom. I furrowed my eyebrows and dried my hands before walking back towards the kitchen. "Mommy?" I called, peeking by the door when I saw the most horrible sight. My sister and mom, dead on the floor. A single gunshot to their temples. I screamed and cried as I felt someone grab me. "Stop!" I screamed as they shook me and yelled my name.
•••

I jumped and looked to see Johnie sitting on my bed. "Are you alright?" She asked me and I shook my head, still shaking and crying. She wrapped her arms around me and I cried into her shoulder, wishing that I had my real mom to comfort me.