Thirty One

Monroe's POV:

It was the day after the homecoming dance and the day that most foster kids dread, social worker visit day. I made sure my room was straightened up and tidy. "Are you ready?" Johnie asked, standing in my doorway. I looked at her and nodded before walking down the stairs. Ezra toddled over to me and I smiled, picking him up. He laid his head on my shoulder as I walked over to the couch and sat down. I sat down beside Phoenix and watched him play on his Nintendo DS. "What are you playing?" I asked him. "Pokémon!" He smiled up at me. I smiled back.

The doorbell rang and I looked up to see Johnie opening the door and Kelley walked in. "Hey." She smiled as I walked over to her, giving her a big hug. "Hey Kelley." I smiled and pulled away from her. "Hey Johnie, Ciara." She smiled and shook their hands. She smiled at us. "So let's get started." She held up the clipboard.

I played with Ezra as Phoenix colored in a coloring book. I had to take them to the playroom because Ciara and Johnie needed all of their attention on Kelley. All the other times I had social worker visits, I was ready to leave. The parents were treating me badly or the other foster kids were treating me badly. I've been through my fair share of abuse and mistreatment because of how different I am.

I looked up when I heard footsteps to see Kelley walking in. "Hey, who are these two?" She asked me. "I'm Phoenix!" He smiled at Kelley, his hazel eyes brightening. "Hey Phoenix." She smiled back and shook his hand. Ezra turned his head into my chest and tried to hide. "This is Ezra." I smiled and kissed the top of his head. "It's ok Ezra, I won't hurt you." Kelley smiled at him. He slowly moved and looked at her. "So how's everything going?" She asked me. "Good." I smiled. "Life is so much better here you know?" She nodded and wrote it down. "Yeah, its so much better here." I smiled.