Malfoy's Mistake

Richard hadn't gone back to Severus in a week.

The only time Richard saw Snape was in Potions class, and even then, Snape ignored him.

It was slowly taking a toll on both Richard and Severus. 

Richard was noticeably sadder. 

He was frowning more, locking himself in his dorm room (reading in it), his grades started to drop, and he was talking less to teachers and friends.

The change was starting to stress the other teachers, especially when Richard started to do badly on his magic exams. 

Severus, although you had to watch for the subtle changes, was affected too.

He was making more mistakes as he made his potions, effectively ruining most of them he attempted to make.

He was also not sleeping well, and any sleep he did get, normally was stopped by a nightmare. 

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose as he sighed.

Grading papers was getting to him.

Severus cast a time-telling spell.

10:30 p.m.

Curfew was 10:00 pm, and he didn't get the knock that he usually got before curfew.  

Richard didn't come once to hug him or wish him a good night. 

Severus sighed and poured himself a small glass of Firewhiskey. 

'How could one kid get past all my defenses and make me feel so...so...' Severus struggled to think of the word. 

How did he feel about the boy?

Richard was excellent in Potions, really, he excelled in all of his classes. 

He was smarter than the average wizard that came to Hogwarts. 

However, at times, he feels like Richard was mis-sorted.   

Richard didn't show any cunning. He did show that he wanted to prove himself through how smart he was and how he could do magic. That was about it though. 

Perhaps the boy should have been in Ravenclaw.

'I've never mis-sorted a person before, Severus. Many talents are hidden in one person. I can see all the potential talents one has. I don't mis-sort.' He recalled when he asked the Sorting Hat about one of the kids in his first years as a Professor.  

Severus couldn't understand how that sweet boy Richard could have been put into Slytherin.

But then Richard turns around and gives that emotionless face.

A face that Severus knew all too well.

It was the face of someone who had been hurt before.

It was a face no child should EVER be acquainted with.   

And yet, Richard was.

The only thing Severus could think about now was how he was going to find out the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Grayson!" Malfoy yelled again as Richard was heading into the Great Hall.

Roy quickly looked to the twins and nodded.

Fred and George smirked and pulled out their wands and a few grenade-looking canisters. 

"I wanted to know if you were ready to hang out with the right crowd. I know that, that mudblood might get annoying or tiresome." Malfoy sneered.