« 1: Playful »

« Marlene's POV »

I collapse into my bed. "Lily, don't you dare move me one inch," I command forcefully. I hear a giggle and curse my friend under my breath. I know what she's about to do.

"Is that a challenge?" she teases. "Yes, a challenge not to be an idiot!" I verbalize.

"Shucks. Guess there's a reason I wasn't placed in Ravenclaw!" Lily responds, being witty, ironically enough. We both know that she's brilliant – despite Gryffindor's bad rep for intelligence, both of us do very well in our classes.

Lily, like I'd predicted, jumps on me with a pillow in hand. "Jesus Christ!" I complain. "'Loss, stop it right now." I've shortened her nickname, and at this point, us being in our sixth year at Hogwarts, it's clear that the term is here to stay. "Hmm," Lily ponders, thinking it over. "You know what, I'd rather not!" She continues to hit me with the pillow until I roll on my front and shove her off of me as gently as I can.

"After my test, too? I struggled so valiantly with that thing, all I wanted to do was relax after it!" I complain, rolling my eyes.

"Uh, excuse me Mar, but all you need is fresh air and a bowl of fruit," Lily replies. She's developed her nickname for me as well.

"That's your solution to everything," I counter.

"Duh! Because it works! Now get your lazy arse out of bed, we're heading to the kitchens and then outside!"

I groan quietly as I haul myself out of bed and give Lily a glare. "It's for your own good," she offers confidently.

Knowing she's right, and that she's trying to help me, I soften the angry look. "Can I just change out of my uniform? The day of school is over, I don't even have any homework left because I did it all before; there is no reason to wear it. I want to be comfortable!" I plead.

Lily gives in easily. "Alright, fine, I'll grab the food while you do that. But then we're going outside, and you can't stop it!"

I give her a reluctant nod. "Thanks, 'Loss."

She nods, smiling, and shuts the door to the girls' dormitory as she leaves. I hastily yank off my schoolgirl attire and replace it with a pair of slightly ripped, artfully faded jeans, a striped crop top, and an oversized black sweatshirt. Then I slide on a random pair of sneakers from my diverse collection, later noticing that I've chosen a black pair that happen to match my jacket.

A few other girls who share our dorm enter and flit around along with me. To them I am reserved, greeting them with a smile but ignoring them other than that. I haven't changed in that respect since I first got on the Hogwarts Express; I'm shy towards strangers, and open towards my friends.

By the time I throw my hair into a shitty messy bun, Lily's returned. "My friend," I exclaim, leaping towards her as if to hug her. I grab the bowl of food instead. "I've been waiting to get something to eat."

We stroll outside our dorm and make our way downstairs, conversing casually. "The house elves asked after you," Lily informs me. "What did you say?" I inquire, making a mental note to thank the house elves for their concern. "That you're suffering from a severe case of laziness, but that it's typical of you to feel that way, and that I'm sure you'll feel better with the help of their delicious food!" Lily giggles.

"Why you – " I begin angrily, choking back my own laughter. Someone interrupts me, however.

"Wow, Blossom, you really are as beautiful as your nickname implies," James flirts. Lily gives me a glare, annoyed that I made the nickname catch on.