« 7: Beloved »

« Lily's POV »

Pacing back and forth angrily in the Gryffindor Common Room, I finally allow myself to collapse onto the couch. That bloody idiot made my friend upset by flirting with another girl! He likes her but is being too cowardly to show it!

How dare he?! Payback is nigh!

I bite my lip. Maybe I'm going a bit too far with my dramatics.

I decide reluctantly that I'll just talk to him.

Disappointed, I let out a sigh. Payback is nigh sounded so impressive, and here I am carrying out something else. What am I even doing with my life?

Thank god Marlene isn't here. I love her to pieces, but if she were around me, I'm confident that she'd be able to decipher my thoughts. And once she did that, she'd recognize that I want to speak to Black. About her.

At the moment, my delusional friend is up in the girls' dorm. She's lying down, claiming to be feeling ill. I agree that she's sick, but I think love's the disease. She's going more down the "common cold" route.

I jerk my head up suddenly, causing my ruby - red ringlets to bounce up and down. The reason? I've just overheard a familiar voice.

"Remus, you're an idiot, intelligence doesn't work on girls," James responds. I roll my eyes. Yeah, because Potter knows how to woo girls.

"I'm sure, James," Remus replies, amusement saturating his tone. Black interrupts, "Guys! Can we focus on my story, please? We can? Good." His friends murmur in agreement. "So I overhear Marls and Lil speaking about me, yeah? And then I – "

After making myself visible by jumping up off the couch spiritedly, I question, "You did what, exactly?" Potter stumbles back a step or two while Black, who is evidently relating this tale, appears embarrassed – though he attempts to hide it. This is indicated by the rapid colouring of his cheeks.

Remus just chuckles, letting out a contented smile while Peter beams, nudging Remus repeatedly.

"I...well, you see...uh..." Black stutters.

Rems interrupts. "James, why don't you elaborate on the topic, since Sirius seems to be having a tough time? Remember, you were explaining how you would love to eavesdrop on Marls saying something like that to Lil?" A grin makes its way onto Remus' lips.

Potter shoots his friend a death glare while I try to hide the pleasant emotions finding their way inside my heart. Potter wanted to hear Marlene tell me how I was in love with him? The fact that he thinks of me thoughtfully, lovingly, even when I'm not there, brings cheer to my expression.

I knew that he was infatuated with me when I was around – I understand that! But I've had a lot of people in my life sweet - talk me to my face and then stab me in the back when I wasn't watching. But Potter...isn't that sort of person.

I always knew it, really. I don't get why this one circumstance is helping me recognize that so much.

By this point, my smile is growing wider and wider.

Potter is about to chase his friend around the room when Black mumbles something to him. This causes Potter to glance up at me.

His eyes widen.

His mouth drops.

His hand nervously runs through his hair.

His friends all hush.